kettle temp wrong

JimZ

TVWBB Super Fan
Checked my kettle temp gauge with a thermowoks dot yesterday and more than 50 degress cold! 26" 1 year old kettle bought brand new. Is it me or is the thing junk? IS this common. I know the gauge is at the top no where near the food but still....

Those bi-metal temp gauges can be way off, mainly because it's in the lid and not at the food level. You could take it out and do an ice bath test and a boiling water test and see if it's functioning properly. I added a tel-tru to my OTS. I generally only rely on it tell give me ballpark where the grill is at temp-wise. If I need to be super accurate I use a digital probe at the grate. That happens almost never, though. The weber ones I find are ok but can tend to go out after a couple of years. Mine would get stuck at 150 and barely move.

Temps measured in two different locations will show a variance in temps. It doesn't really matter what the exact temp reading on the gauge is as long as its repeatable.

I put studs through the top edge of my rotisserie ring and he’s the same “condominium” effect! Put the GBS on top and then you can lift the center if things on the bottom need some attention.
The 1/4x20 studs I even had in a jar (that I could FIND) so I had all the components! Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while.

Back