Looking for people's thoughts on a potential Used Summit

Pat In Camas

So I am really not very happy with Genesis II E-310 purchase last fall, even when taking into account I was able to get it new for $380.00

Anyway I was looking for used Weber's and came across a used Summit S-470 for $899 and was intrigued. (Also looking at getting a Broil King S490 Pro).

Here are the pics...for being stainless steel, there seems to be an awful lot of rust color in there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BKeAAixQtUrQ27Qy9

Also this is what her response was when I asked how old it was "Was left by my recent renters. There were there only for 6 months. I never used it."

Thoughts?

Pass. Genesis ii is better built than the summit. Read up on rusting fireboxes. Keep an eye out for a 304SS from Bull, napoleon, DCS, etc. They pop up in that range.

Several threads on here about the SS fireboxes rusting out around the area that the burners enter the firebox. It is a very expensive fix and typically not worth it. I have seen several used Summit grills listed on here for way under $900.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73857-What%92s-Up-with-Summits&highlight=summit

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74516-Weber-Summit-near-Louisville-Kentucky!-75-00&highlight=summit

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74...hink-of-this-40-Weber-Summit&highlight=summit

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73879-Summit-Gold-on-the-curb!!&highlight=summit

Last edited:
The biggest issue with the E310 is the bottom panel and sometimes the sides of the cabinet inevitably rust out prematurely. I have acquired 4 E310s and one was a total loss 2007, one was bad, but fixable 2008, one was in decent shape, but still rusted 2012 and the latest one is a 2010 with extensive rust. Not sure if I will part it out or rehab it at this point.

The open cart Silver B's and Genesis 1000-5000 grills that are twice as old have much less rust.

One other thing that some don't like with the E310 later generation is the North south burners vs the East west burners in the earlier generation of the E3xx series.

The Genesis II E-310 is an open cabinet though. What is it about the grill you don't like? Is it the north south burners? I also have that grill and so far I like it.

The Genesis II E-310 is an open cabinet though. What is it about the grill you don't like? Is it the north south burners? I also have that grill and so far I like it.

I have the SE-410 and I love it. I read reviews where people had issues with them not getting hot enough or the flame going out when it’s windy. I haven’t experienced any of those issues.

The thing with the Summit is if the fire box was stainless steel it would not rust out. Witness the fact that my Wolf has a SS box and nothing is rusted on it. Zip, nada. The issue with the Summits is the fore boxes are made of mild porcelain coated steel. Once the porcelain is een slightly compromised rust comes in, in a very vicious manner. Very expensive rust buckets.

Sam: I have no experience with the Genesis II. I was referring to the 2007-2011 and 2012-2017 regular Genesis E3xxx series grills.

I'm sure glad the tin worms aren't allowed in Arizona. My 2007 e320 doesn't have a hint of rust anywhere. But I've seen some pictures on here of the cabinet's being rusted out. I sure would avoid those if I lived in humid climate.

We have big "worms" up in Wisconsin. This is a 2010 Genesis E320.

gxK09ML.jpg

35jcahy.jpg

It just doesn't get hot enough to handle high temp cooking very well and just doesn't seem to have the build quality I would expect on a $700 grill. I knew there was a lot of commentary about the searing issue before purchasing it, but it was still a little shocking experiencing it first hand especially as my old Genesis Silver got MUCH hotter. Also the Cast Iron grates are already breaking down in less than 1 year of use.

Somewhat relatedly, is it possible to buy Stainless Steel Grates and Flavorizer bars for the Genesis II? None of the SS grates sold on the Weber store are compatible.

SAd that someone has to spen that much on a grill than spend even more on top of it for quality grates and flavorizerrs

Well, if stock grates and bars are going bad in just one year, then yah, that is a shame. I wonder if they changed the build specs of the grates and bars from that of the previous line of grills? If they did it to save a buck then they are killing the golden goose.

There are a lot of people out there that consider a grill dead when anything goes wrong with it. If people pay $700 for a grill that needs new grates, bars or whatever in one year, then they will never buy another Weber.

That's too bad that it isn't working out for you. As far as the CI grates go they should still be under warranty so you could get those replaced and then sell the grill to get back some of the money you've spent on it. You should be able to find a buyer since that grill is selling for about $699 at the hardware stores. As far as getting RC's hardware for that grill, I did contact him a couple of times to see if he was making the grates and bars for the Genesis II E-310 and he said that he wasn't making them yet because they're too new and not in demand but to keep checking with him from time to time so AFAIK he's not making them yet. If you want to get the OEM ones from Weber then you'd have to call CS and ask them for the grates and bars for the Genesis II LX E-340 or the Genesis II S-310 as both of those have the same grates and bars as the II E-310 but in stainless. Here is a guy on Youtube that did it for his grill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezpkpmaQlmY

My Genesis II SE-410 has stainless grates and flavorizers. You can also get them from Weber. If your grill isn’t getting hot enough, I would contact Weber. Your grill should still be under warranty.

THe lack of heat issue could be due to the issue when opening the tank valve too fast and having it vapor lock or whatever happens. Try shutting off the burner valves, then the tank valve, disconnect the tank from the hose and wait a few minutes. Then, connect it back up and "SLOWLY" open the tank valve. Then turn on the burners and light it up.

Back