I just broke off the bolts

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
that hold the burner tubes on the inside of my first restoration project.
(Red Genesis 1000) How does a guy go about repairing and replacing them?
I tried drilling them out - unsuccessfully. Can't get the bit to bite in and go.
All suggestions welcome from this long time lurker, first time poster.

They are not supposed to come out. They are mearly place holders to hold the tubes in. The tubes should simply slide in and out without tighning or loosening the screws. You will need to drill out the old screws and install new ones or if that won't work, then drill new holes right next to them for new screws. It won't affect anything if the tubes are out of alignment by a couple MM's.

Thanks for the info. I went back to a vid I watched, and that guy made the same mistake.
I read the comments and saw that someone had corrected him.

There is not enough space to get a drill bit down there due to the width of the drill itself. Here is what I did. I got some aluminum 90 deg stock .75x.75" cut off a 1" length to make a small L bracket. On the one leg I cut a notch to fit over the raised area where the burners sit. I then screwed them into the side of the grill (left side as you're facing it) to hold the burners down. Worked like a champ

I begged everyone here to let me take those bolts out and got a big resounding "NO!" I would maybe get brand new bits if you somehow can get a drill in there. Try using a center punch on whats left to get the bit to bite..

The screws are too hard to get a good bite with the bit and they're too close in the corner to squeeze a drill with enough power in there to do it unless you use an air powered drill which are very slender

Back