Used Propane Tanks?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Looking for a 2nd 20lb tank, and I saw one for sale at a good price, but they said the label had been removed by the gas company. Is that a sign of a tank in need of recertification? The tank is full and was recently filled for what it's worth.

Nope, the certification is tied to the stamped metal date code on the metal shroud protecting the valve. It is suggested to remove the label around the 'belly' as it promotes rust by trapping water against the tank body.

Sounds like you are good! What is a 'good price'? I frequently see empties around here go for $10 on CL.

I may be wrong but I think it's federal law (DOT) that governs the tanks. Your state may have additional requirements. The tanks are good for 12 years from the date on the tank handle. After that they need to recertified and if they pass they are good for another 5 years before needing to be recertified again.
Here it costs $8 to get a tank recertified.
I have 4 or 5 tanks I've had recertified.

Here's an explanation of the process.

https://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-blog/2017/march/how-to-recertify-your-propane-tank

Last edited:
The price on this filled tank is $29.00. The propane is worth at least $15.00 more or less. Just curious why the labels were removed.

The other option is to simply go to one of the exchange places like Walmart, Menards, etc.... They charge about $15 to drop off your old empty tank in exchange for a different filled tank. It is easy and you don't have to worry about expiration dates. They don't even look as they in house re-certify the tanks. Typically, they just put a sticker on the new tanks showing it has been inspected and is certified, but no refill station will accept that kind of re-certification.

I have about a dozen tanks lying around from all the grills that I have bought for rehabbing. I offer to sell an empty tank with each grill I rehab for an extra $10. If I have full ones, I sell them for $25. Most of them are expired as far as I know. They use a very cryptic and confusing system for stamping them, and I haven't really got it down yet. And that is if it is even possible to read the stamped letters/numbers.

Returning them to an exchange place is just sometimes simpler although you will pay a little bit more for the convenience.

What exactly is the recertification process anyway?

Do they just check for leaks? If one is found, do they replace the valve?

Thanks for the link, Rich!

I think that is pretty much it. They ensure there are no leaks and the tank has an OPD valve and it is working properly. I suppose there are some structural issues that they check for as well such as dents and corrosion.

Back