Genesis Silver C - Quick 'n Dirty 2-day Rehab

Xavier G

TVWBB Member
Good Morning Fellow Afflicted -

My inlaws have been in town helping with the baby, and man we are so thankful. In the days before they came out, my wife mentioned how her dad is having trouble with his no-name grill (won't get hot enough, bad igniter, birds keep trying to nest in it???). Sitting on a pile of premium grills here at the homestead, I knew just how to say thanks.

While time was a little limited and it was hot as the devil's crotch here in Denver the past couple days, I set about doing a quick rehab on the best filly in the stable, the burgundy top Silver C. I did not get to spend as much time cleaning out the firebox as I'd have liked, and the box exterior is pretty poorly done if I can be hyper self-critical. I told myself that I'd work to get most of the critical stuff done first, then go back and try for details at the end if there was time. There was not.

I was happy to have a cache of spare stainless hardware, the square tube long frame inserts, the roulette-wheel priced Amazon stainless grates, aftermarket chinese igniters, and OEM Weber casters and flavos. That definitely saved some time.

I am probably most pleased with the emblem I - I have been experimenting with the semigloss black hi-temp base, but finishing with a clearcoat. I think it looks real sharp, and will be doing that moving forward.

Challenges:

- Sideburner lid hinge pins seemed to be plastic and desintegrated the instant I touched them - I had to buy new pins/cotters at Depot and shim them on the inside with washers so it'd snug

- The Silver C endcaps apparently have inset bolts that hold it to the porcelain lid, NOT removable bolts like the 1000/2000 series. My spare hardware was useless here. The 'nuts' that grab them on the inside of the lid are some specialized fastener I have not identified yet; they are like a hollowed out 7/16" self-tapping nut, and Depot does not have these. I originally tried high-temp gasket maker and washers but that was no go. I ended up digging the old ones out of the garbage and putting them on over the washer setup, which seemed to work ok. I will definitely be exploring what they are and grabbing some.

- I was not able to figure out how to remove the second igniter button cap from the side burner to replace it. Usually the button comes out with the console face, you swing the button all the way in, which allows you to compress the sides of the bezel to pop it out. With the button in the way, there is no room for the bezel to compress. Anyone got any suggestions here? Does the console face of the sideburner remove?

Overall, for only two longer days and juggling wife / dad duties, I am mostly satisfied with how it turned out. With more time I'd have worked mostly on just the firebox and inner lid, the rest is passable.

Without further adieu!

USD5rPJ.jpg

BaZiuJX.jpg

EyCSsLz.jpg

4eF0bl4.jpg

S8twA7s.jpg

rmzdIKV.jpg

The Silver C endcaps apparently have inset bolts that hold it to the porcelain lid, NOT removable bolts like the 1000/2000 series. My spare hardware was useless here. The 'nuts' that grab them on the inside of the lid are some specialized fastener I have not identified yet; they are like a hollowed out 7/16" self-tapping nut, and Depot does not have these. I originally tried high-temp gasket maker and washers but that was no go. I ended up digging the old ones out of the garbage and putting them on over the washer setup, which seemed to work ok. I will definitely be exploring what they are and grabbing some.
Great result!

I'm working on my own and I just did the lid over the weekend and found the correct nuts at Lowe's:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-4-Count-7-16-in-Zinc-Plated-Standard-SAE-Hex-Nut/3012834

I call these a stamped nut, but as you can see Lowe's site and others do not refer to them that way making it hard to search for them.

Wow, 76 cents per nut. That is crazy. I have about 30-40 of them from the grills that I have rehabbed. I am sure I can find them a lot cheaper around me. Menards or Ace Hardware should have them much less expensive than that.

Wow, 76 cents per nut. That is crazy. I have about 30-40 of them from the grills that I have rehabbed. I am sure I can find them a lot cheaper around me. Menards or Ace Hardware should have them much less expensive than that.

76/4 qty = 19 cents per nut.

Back