Brisket on Top or Pork Butt on Top???

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
Hi all. I’ve seen this question posted before but can’t seem to find the thread. If I decide to smoke a brisket and a pork butt can I do them together or should I just scrap the idea.

I think I remember someone saying the pork on top because it will be done faster but I’m concerned about the pork dripping on the brisket and changing the flavor or being bad all together.

any suggestions or how to’s?

Hello stranger, come here often? :)

Common consensus is butt over brisket with no worries about making the cow taste like pig.
What time should we be there?

HA!! I wish I could get here more often!

my last brisket turned out awesome. We haven’t had anyone to visit in....let’s just say a long time and no ones been to the new digs. So I thought I’ll never have it all done to where I can say come on out but don’t mind the mess LOL

You are always welcome, Saturday July the 21st starting around 3ish. Bring your own brew and chair but, if you and the funny little honey make the trip brew and chair included plus a place to lay your weary heads at night, provided the dogs don’t beat ya there first, which they do LOL

THANKS BOB!!

If your guests have restrictions–dietary, religious, or otherwise–against pork, they may not appreciate it dripping on their brisket. I'm not an Imam or a Rabbi and don't know all the rules, but its food for thought.

I cooked both brisket and pork shoulder at the same time 2 weeks ago.
They were the same weight and I placed the brisket on top: the brisket was slower to reach the target, so I had to overcook the shoulder a little bit, but everything was fine at the end.
Next time I'll switch postions to have a better control.

That's interesting. I have always had the butts take considerably longer, whether in my WSM, or my big Klose offset.

I was surprised too: maybe the reason was that brisket was particularry low-fat than usual.
It was the first time I cooked both at the same time, usually I cook 2 briskets or 2 pork shoulders.

Back