Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mint Limeade

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHeyl View Post
    My personal take on it is recipes where you should definitely use peppermint will specifically call for peppermint. Most recipes where it calls for generic mint they probably mean spearmint.
    This is helpful advice.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    This is my favorite cafe rio drink, I go there to eat frequently. The franchise began here in Utah, there are at least 6-7 within 10 miles of my house. I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks for posting!
    I eyed this in the restaurant quite a few times before I finally tried it. Then I found myself stopping there for dinner primarily because of the mint limeade. I'd get a large, which is usually silly when you can get free refills, just so I'd have more to take home.

Having some idea what it takes to make this from fresh squeeze limes, I can't imagine they're making a penny on it. Usually the drinks are a huge profit maker for fast food restaurants, but I have to think they're losing money on all the freshly made drinks.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I measured by jar. It's 64 oz.

So it's the same size as @JayHeyl's container.

After the simple syrup, and lime juice, there's enough room for 4 coups of water.

I like it the way it comes out, in that container. That first time I used about 18 limes, and it was good how it came out.

TVWBB Pro
    I've averaged 10-12 limes for a batch of mint limeade. After just about killing my wrist squeezing them with a manual juicer, I bought a Dash motorized reamer from Amazon. It was not terribly expensive and was certainly cheaper than a trip to the doctor for carpal tunnel. (Seriously, I messed up my wrist pretty bad. It interfered with my use of the hand for about ten days and hurt for another two weeks after that. The manual juicer is for doing two or three pieces of fruit, not a dozen.) I've only used the Dash three or four times so I obviously can't speak to longevity, but it works well. There's an adjustable screen to allow or prevent various amounts of pulp to pass through. It's a bit fiddly to take it apart for cleaning but far from the worst I've seen. If you end up making mint limeade a lot, I definitely recommend getting a motorized juicer of some kind.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Can you post a link to your juicer?

TVWBB Pro
    Dash Juicer. I got a white one. Used it the other night to juice a few lemons I bought to make lemon extract. Needed the zest but wasn't going to throw away the juice. Put it in ice cube trays and froze it.

It's a bit of a pain to clean as the screen is actually two nested plastic pieces that snap together. They go together easy enough but can be difficult to get apart. Aside from that small issue, it has performed well so far.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Thanks, I like how it's not to big. I'll add it to my wish list and get it at some point.

Doing some reading, it seems that the screen is there to separate the pulp. But if I don't mind the pump, then can I not use the screen?

Would that make it easier to clean?

TVWBB Super Fan
    How long does the mint stay fresh in the limeaid?

TVWBB Super Fan
    I'm also looking at this juicer. I don't see the complaints about cleaning that I saw with the Dash one, that @JeyHeyl also mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...9J34LL/tvwb-20

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12