Smoked tofu?

JayHeyl

TVWBB Pro
While reading about the new tariffs on soybeans going to China it occurred to me this will probably drive down the cost of soybean-based products, such as tofu. Can't say I'm a huge fan of tofu. Don't hate it, but as long as there are pigs and cattle and chickens available, I don't really see the point. But it got me wondering if there was some way to prepare tofu where I could honestly say that I liked it. Naturally, my thoughts quickly ran to BBQ.

I did a quick Google but only found a very hand-waving "recipe" that basically said put some seasoning on it, maybe some marinade, and then toss it on the smoker for some amount of time.

Tofu has so little flavor of its own I'm afraid that eating smoked tofu would be like drinking a bottle of liquid smoke. Has anyone tried smoking tofu and was it even remotely worth the effort?

There's two different types of tofu that most people know about soft and firm and the firm tofu is what you want to use as it picks up alot of Smoke flavor and you can do a lite marinate

Last edited:
I would handle it the same way you do mixed veg. Do whatever marinade you would do when you smoke peppers, carrots, and toss in cubed firm tofu.

Use a large perforated metal bowl like this (I have a round wok-like bowl-->no corners ;) )

51tLxWOI4pL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

and either smoke 'em or on the grill. I find it easier on the grill (for mixing purposes). Put some foil-wrapped wood chips in there in the usual manner if doing it on the grill.

Last edited:
I smoke tofu all the time for my wife who is vegan. I use regular (not silken) extra firm tofu. I first press it with a light weight between paper towels to remove moisture then cube it, about 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/2 inch. Then put the cubes in a mason jar and add about 2 TBL of Braggs liquid aminos (kinda like soy sauce but less salty) and shake it lightly. Let it sit in the refrigerator until the Braggs is absorbed (an hour or so should do). I then lay them out on a cooling rack and put into a fairly cool smoker well away from the heat; you don't want to cook it (I use the upper shelf of an offset smoker for this). Smoke 45 min to an hour keeping the temp below 200F. Cherry or Apple is nice, Hickory also is good but Mesquite is too strong. They are 'done' when the edges get dark brown but before the chunks get dried out.

I understand your humor Dustin. We had some leftover tofu when we made Pad Thai. I pressed it and grilled it, added some BBQ sauce at the end. It really didn't have much flavor. That was on my gasser. Next time we make Pad Thai I will smoke the leftover tofu and see if it turns out any better.

Slow, cold smoked tofu might make it almost edible, just kidding. For me it’s a textural aversion. I’m glad Rick(post#4) is a kind enough person to take this kind of material and make friends enjoy a barbecue experience! I have one question for him though; do you use a dedicated grate for them?
I have some vegetarian friends and they are not so strict as vegans but, I need to get a “vegetable dedicated” grate before I do a grilled ratatouille for them next time they come, I suppose it’s as much for my peace of mind as their dietary consideration. People become vegetarian for so many reasons it’s a little confusing, my friends do it for religious reasons and if they get “contaminated” products, it’s a lengthy thing for purification.
I’m glad I’m just an ordinary Anglican! I’d pe pretty miserable without bacon!
I get it too:)

Last edited:
M wife is not hard over regarding co-mingling (its a health thing rather than ethical) but the cooling rack that the tofu is laid on keeps it separated from the 'regular' grate.

Some may have missed the "wink" ;) emoji. That's why I always use the "grin" :D emoji. Wait...they almost look identical! :wsm:
I guess I don't switch between text and graphics fast enough. When looking at pictures I tend to ignore the words; when reading I tend to ignore the pictures, especially the really small ones that old eyes have a lot of trouble with. Never even noticed the emoji.

We have a vegan in law in our family. I don't think there would be an issue with smoke per se, but there is an issue if it's smoked on a grate that also had cooked meat, possibly the smoker itself. Same with a pan. Same point as Rick above. I'd give it a go if it was something that sounded good to them.

Gee, Cliff that seems a little rough, the grill or smoker I can almost understand but, a PAN!? Good grief they get washed, they must, I've seen your feast pictures, work like that from a dirty pan come!
I had not thought about Rick’s point of the extra rack.
I mentioned having the vegetarians to a little thing with another friend who has a list of food allergies as long as your arm and now I think I’ve made an error in judgement with that particular guest list, she is really restricted, no fowl,corn, any form of the allium family, seafood of any kind, ad nauseum.
Compared to her a vegetarian feast is easy!

but there is an issue if it's smoked on a grate that also had cooked meat, possibly the smoker itself. Same with a pan. Same point as Rick above. I'd give it a go if it was something that sounded good to them.

Did I miss something? I already spoke to that issue in post # 3 :D by using a basket. UNLESS the issue is that the aroma of freshly smoked pork/beef being carried on the updraft carries some sort of "je ne sais quoi" :confused:

Keep in mind that some people keep SEPARATE sets of dishes and utensils for meat, another totally separate set for dairy, etc. (for religious reasons). People believe what they believe. They don't think it's irrational to do so. It's normal for them.

I remember watching an episode of chopped with a vegan chef upset because one ingredient was honey. The showrunners hadn't even thought of that.

UNLESS the issue is that the aroma of freshly smoked pork/beef being carried on the updraft carries some sort of "je ne sais quoi" :confused:

That's exactly the issue Len. Not with me however. I think the entire concept is ridiculous. I do try to understand the beliefs and preferences of others though and accommodate them if the need arises, especially family.

Back