Thread: BBQ prep cart from grill frame?

TVWBB Member

BBQ prep cart from grill frame?

Has anyone made a prep cart out of an old frame? Really surprised Weber doesnít make a companion BBQ cart to go with the grills. The side tables just arenít big enough on the newer grills. The cart on the new Genesis II would make a great base for a prep cart.

Fellow member Rich Dahl did just that-

http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2014...-a-grill-cart/

Jeff

TVWBB Member

I just saw the photos in the posted links, and making those carts out of old grill frames was shear genius.

I'l have to consider this at a later date.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

TVWBB Member
    I wonder if there's a way to make a table, ditch the firebox but keep a functioning side burner? Then it's got some additional value besides just a place to put things.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Here's one I made to support my 18.5 WSM and my JJ, with a side burner to light the coals for both. During bad weather I can roll it under the covered patio.

[IMG]100_1360 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's another that I made out of a char broil frame for my mini

[IMG]DSCN6159 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Rich Dahl; 07-09-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Member
    Exactly what I was thinking with the side burner. What did you need to do to connect the tank? I thought the side burner was fed through the manifold for the main burners?

Thinking about this one for a base.

https://imgur.com/a/wpD6ShG

The side burner normally is fed off the main burner manifold. But there is no reason you cannot connect the side burner directly to a separate propane tank as long as it has a regulator on it. All you need is the standard hose with regulator and whatever adapter you need to connect it to the side burner.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

Speaking of regulators, I saw some aftermarket assemblies at Walmart, today, and one was adjustable up to 5 PSI. The other one was non-adjustable, and it's pressure rating was listed in WC (water column, I suppose). Is WC like measuring a fraction of 1 PSI?

Love your tables, Rich!
    Last edited by Rusty James; 07-09-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

Those adjustable ones are not meant for grills. They're for LP blowtorch heaters, or deep fryers using one on a grill is not good