BBQ prep cart from grill frame?

AlexDurso

TVWBB Member
Has anyone made a prep cart out of an old frame? Really surprised Weber doesn’t make a companion BBQ cart to go with the grills. The side tables just aren’t big enough on the newer grills. The cart on the new Genesis II would make a great base for a prep cart.

I just saw the photos in the posted links, and making those carts out of old grill frames was shear genius.

I'l have to consider this at a later date.

I wonder if there's a way to make a table, ditch the firebox but keep a functioning side burner? Then it's got some additional value besides just a place to put things.

Here's one I made to support my 18.5 WSM and my JJ, with a side burner to light the coals for both. During bad weather I can roll it under the covered patio.

28434581667_13d9896f3d_z.jpg
[/url]100_1360 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's another that I made out of a char broil frame for my mini

29434147668_cd15908875_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6159 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
The side burner normally is fed off the main burner manifold. But there is no reason you cannot connect the side burner directly to a separate propane tank as long as it has a regulator on it. All you need is the standard hose with regulator and whatever adapter you need to connect it to the side burner.

Speaking of regulators, I saw some aftermarket assemblies at Walmart, today, and one was adjustable up to 5 PSI. The other one was non-adjustable, and it's pressure rating was listed in WC (water column, I suppose). Is WC like measuring a fraction of 1 PSI?

Love your tables, Rich!

Last edited:
Those adjustable ones are not meant for grills. They're for LP blowtorch heaters, or deep fryers using one on a grill is not good

Hacked this together in 30 minutes. I got this Genesis Gold B as a donor grill because I needed a blue lid. Flipped side tables around, IKEA cutting board in middle. Wine bottles fit in condiment rack. Towel holder can use some more work.
DE03F82C-3C5A-4862-A79F-812A25ABA83B.jpeg700649AC-5A7F-405D-A8A5-44A0B4719586.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you paint the side tables blue or is that just a reflection?
I like it a lot.

Reactions: Loc
Hacked this together in 30 minutes. I got this Genesis Gold B as a donor grill because I needed a blue lid. Flipped side tables around, IKEA cutting board in middle. Wine bottles fit in condiment rack. Towel holder can use some more work.
View attachment 54902View attachment 54903
I really like the use of the whole design, I’m going to “try“ to find a donor frame and make one of those up! Good spot for the cooler, need one of those too! That would make an even dozen coolers to match the grill count! My wife will probably give me “the look” with that purchase. It is on my “wish list” on Amazon (birthday is coming)!

Reactions: Loc
Hacked this together in 30 minutes. I got this Genesis Gold B as a donor grill because I needed a blue lid....

That's a great looking cart. I have to ask though ... what are you putting the blue lid on
that is better than leaving it on the Gold B? It would have surely made a beautiful and
profitable resto.

Blue lid replacing black lid on my everyday driver Gold C. The blue Gold B was beyond saving. Firebox melted, valve assembly tangs rusted off, cross member disintegrated. Luckily, what remains is useable as a side cart.

I did briefly consider finding another donor grill to resto the blue Gold B, but that vicious cycle is how I ended up with my “Weber wasteland” garage as the neighbors call it.

Back