Smokemeister attachment for gas grills

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
SmokeMeister attachment for gas grills

Hi:

Anyone have any experience using this device to add smoke to their gas grill. I've been using the smoker insert in my Genesis E-310 (2007) to do ribs. I've added other smoking containers with only limited success. I think I lose too much heat while I am moving the wood chips/chunks around to keep the smoke going for extended time. This device has pretty good reviews on a few sites including Amazon. I've looked at alternatives for smoking: Egg, Pellet grill, and electric smoker boxes. All have their limitations and drawbacks. I want to keep the convenience of the Genesis especially since my patio space is limited and smoking represents about 10% of my grill use. I know many will say it is heresy to drill a hole in the firebox, but the benefits look worth the effort.

Last edited:
Dan,

I too am interested in others views that have used this. I bought the newer Genesis last year and although I am very happy with this, I have tried several different ways to introduce smoke into the box using different methods of pellets/chip holders, but none provide enough smoke to make any difference. I do a lot of low and slow grilling (brisket, ribs, prime rib and other roasts and birds) and was just about to pull the plug on a weber kettle, but if this does work, this would solve my dilemma. I just don't know if I like the idea of placing a hole in a brand new grill.

Ron:

I understand your hesitation about drilling a hole in a new grill. My frustration with the Weber smoker attachment and other smoke boxes kind of pushed me to post this thread. It got no response. I don't smoke that often, mostly just grill steaks and burgers for the two of us. Due to space limitations, I abandoned getting a Traeger or electric smoker to do ribs. I got the Smokemiester last week and it installed easily. I've done 3 trial burns without cooking anything. Produced plenty of smoke and had virtually no impact on the grill temp. Ken at Smokemiester was very helpful. Not sure where you would install the smokemiester on your grill that has the burners going in the other direction from my 2007 (E-W). I plan to do some ribs later this week at low and slow 225. Being able to leave the lid down will help with keeping the temp fairly constant other than mopping. I had issues with having to open the lid to add chips or having to run higher temps just to keep them going. Good luck on your decision. I'm glad I got a Smokemiester even before using it on an actual cook!

Last edited:
Thanks Dan for responding.

I emailed Ken at Smokemiester today and he answered within an hour. He is going to verify some measurements on the newer Genesis and get back to me, but he thinks I just need an adapter that he can provide. Did you tap your hole?

Ron:
I tried, but the firebox on mine wasn't thick enough so the tap couldn't bite in enough to thread, just ended up going thru. I just ended up using the two nuts; one inside and one outside to snug things up. I picked up a bag of Traeger Hickory pellets today in prep for the first actual cook. We are supposed to hit 114 here this week, so the grill will not have to do much just to get to 225!

Hi Ron:
I did my first real cook today with the Smokemiester. I did a rack of ribs which took 7 hours. I filled the device about 3/4 full with Traeger pellets and used a torch to light it (no fluid). Worked great and smoked for about 6 hours. I ran the Genesis with front burner only on low. Held pretty much at 225, but in the afternoon it creeped up to about 240 since the outside ambient temp was 107. Satisfied with the results. Ribs had a nice smoke ring. One note of caution being a retired fire captain: Make sure your fuel hoses are out of reach of dropping embers on startup. I made sure my NG hose was under the grill instead of behind it. One errant ember and it would be showtime. I used to go to grill fires where they would take out a 2 story house due to open patio doors and not so great propane tank connections. The chimney effect works for houses as well..... Hope you get good news from Ken for your Genesis II.

Hi @Dan Leighton, I coldsmoked using my smokemeister today. I got my Weber from Craigslist 5 years ago and the smokemeister came with it. I never heard of it before then but it has now become my most favorite Craigslist freebie item, really love that thing.

Attachments

• 07EB17C2-C3C1-49EA-9EED-095F87E94127.jpeg
    07EB17C2-C3C1-49EA-9EED-095F87E94127.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Back