Weber Genesis 1000 EO 1995 Side Table Wood Slats

Scott-ManThings

Hey guys. Does anyone have a really simple wood to buy that is the proper thickness to replace wood slats on a Genesis 1000 1995? I’ve made a few side tables but I’m looking to restore a red head to 100% original specifications. I’m looking for a relatively simple match if I could. Menards sells cedar planks that are the proper width to match but they are too thick. I think the Weber ones are a little over 1/2 inch thick? Anywhere sell cedar or some other type of nice wood that I don’t have to plane down to fit?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Ps. Anyone have an extra grease tray that will fit this bad boy? Maybe some Z brackets, too? All three of my 1000’s in my garage right now have rusted trays. Would rather not pay $70 from eBay. Thanks a lot.

Scott, first I will address the wood slats. I found that you can get the Cedar fence panels which are perfectly sized. The problem is that you have to rip them to the correct width. But the thickness is perfect. I used them on my 1993 Genesis 1000. If you have a table saw, or access to one, it is an easy job. If not, it is too hard to get even cuts with a Skil Saw or other saw. Since the are 5/8" thick, it gives you a little leeway to sand them down nice and smooth.
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...726-c-5774.htm?tid=3778045260492414505&ipos=2

You can order the Z brackets from a guy called RCPlanebuyer. He makes all kinds of stainless steel parts for Weber grills to include awesome flavorizer bars and solid stainless cooking grates. They are pricey, but will last forever. The Z brackets are stainless as well. He charges about $6 or so per Z bracket. Another problem you will have is replacing the brackets for the swing table. I know of no source for that. But, really, I don't think you need what weber uses. A couple of small conduit clamps should work just as well. Since they are under the table, you won't see them anyway.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...376-c-9548.htm?tid=1779994056578044630&ipos=3

Here is a CL add for RCPlanebuyer. Contact him through the CL email and tell him what you are looking for and he will quote you prices. He is good about combining shipping, so if you buy several items from him, you can cut down on the shipping charges a lot.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/d/weber-flavor-bars/6623719462.html

My grill before and after:

n1rS3gr.jpg

You have a final option. Hold tight and keep your eyes open on CL and FB marketplace for a "donor Grill" that has usuable parts that you can canibalize the parts you need. I buy a lot of Genesis 1000 grills anywhere from Free to $50. You might get lucky and get everything you need from one grill. Except for the wood.

Last edited:
The 12" RCP z-bars for the side tables are $17+shipping for a set of 2.

As for the grease tray, they can be had for $30 including shipping on Amazon/ebay all day every day. Use part number 40968012.

Likely need the drip pan and holder as well as the grease tray. That is part #7515.

Again, you can probably get a lot of these parts off a cheap donor grill.

Thanks for all the responses. I’ve bought 4 of this exact model within the last week and I have everything I need besides the grease tray and z brackets. All of the grills I bought have these parts rusted out. I might have said drip pan, but I meant the larger metal grease tray.

The cedar fence trick sounds great. I thought they would be too thin...didn’t even check them out. I’ll have to give it a go.

One more question...looking for stainless steel bar grates for the rebuild for this 1000. Anyone have a seller they like that has good quality ones for non-Weber prices? Thanks a lot.

Thanks for all the responses. I’ve bought 4 of this exact model within the last week and I have everything I need besides the grease tray and z brackets. All of the grills I bought have these parts rusted out. I might have said drip pan, but I meant the larger metal grease tray.

The cedar fence trick sounds great. I thought they would be too thin...didn’t even check them out. I’ll have to give it a go.

One thing with the fence boards. Be sure you're not buying pressure treated wood. Being that they're on a grill you don't want food coming into possible contact with that material.
I think Bruce found some decent SS grates on Amazon for "flipping" purposes.

If your time is money and Bruce's method is cheaper but all you need to do with these boards is cut them to length there are more than a few of us who have done that. I did before I cut them run my orbital sander on the unfinished side but I don't really see them as being too thick as they are still below or even with the z bars. I have a 12" chop saw so it was pretty easy for me.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-1-i...MIiMiizYyT3AIVA5FpCh254w1sEAQYAiABEgLNXPD_BwE

https://i.imgur.com/W6N9gnv.jpg

I bought some of those at Lowes for future rehabs. I haven't put them on a Z bar yet, but I am quite sure they are going to be above the Z bar. But, I don't really see that as a problem as long as it is not too much. I think it is better to be a bit above the Z bar. You don't want your dishes and pans and whatever resting on the Z bar any way. I figure a little work with the orbital sander will get them to an acceptable width.

Bruce think you meant height not width I sanded the bottoms did not get them smooth as they are unfinished also ran the orbital sander on the tops to smooth them out before staining them. If you look at my picture and I just went out with my level and again I did not go crazy sanding them they are maybe no more that a 1/16 of an inch below the z bars which is fine with me they certainly are not above them. The originals were below also but its pretty hard to get that height they came with since on these old grills that wood would have had to shrunk over the years from weathering.

You might be able to get them totally flush but I am not worried about the z bars with dishes since at least what I use do not touch the bars anyway and even if they did it would be no big deal.

Sounds good Brian. I will have to go out and see what my Genny 1000 looks like with the Cedar fence panel wood. Tomorrow.

Bruce,
Did you ever try out the Lowes Cedar wood boards that Brian mentioned?

I am looking to get starting on ordering all the wood needed for my 5000 restore and have to mail order them as no Lowes around me has stock and there is no Menards around here in Massachusetts.

Were the ones from Menards rough on one side like the Lowes ones or were both sides smooth? Lowes states rough on their webpage but who knows.

Jeff

Last edited:
My buddy in England told me while we were building a deck on my house it drives him nuts also as in England anyway a 2x4 is actually a 2x4

Bruce,

I am looking to get starting on ordering all the wood needed for my 5000 restore and have to mail order them as no Lowes around me has stock and there is no Menards around here in Massachusetts.

Were the ones from Menards rough on one side like the Lowes ones or were both sides smooth? Lowes states rough on their webpage but who knows.

Jeff

Jeff: I made a trip earlier this spring that took me past a Lowes. I dropped in and picked up six of the 1x2 boards. I have not redone a wood Genny 1000 yet but I have couple in my inventory. They are definitely thicker than the fence slats but I figure a little time with the orbital sander will them in line. Also, I think that sticking up above the metal z brackets a slight bit will be a good thing.

My buddy in England told me while we were building a deck on my house it drives him nuts also as in England anyway a 2x4 is actually a 2x4

2 inches by 4 inches.....Aren't they on the metric system over there? :D

My oak 1 x 2's stick up a little over the z brackets and they look just fine. I like it actually because nothing scratches the metal.

I used HD's 1x2 in clear pine, stained a honey oak and 3 thin coats of Minwax spar varnish. My slats are a tad (1/16"?) above the z-bars but maybe they shrink. Totally unnoticeable, I think.

NA7yFCX.jpg

Bruce,

Jeff

Jeff, I'm almost positive you could find suitable cedar 1x2s at your local Lowe's: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Top-Choice...-ft-Actual-0-75-in-x-1-5-in-x-8-ft/1000092913

Oak 1x2s should also be available but they are pricey.

Back