Celebratory Shin-diggery at the Calow House

Jeremy Calow

TVWBB Super Fan
So this year due to scheduling travel and other impacts, my brother in laws birthday and my anniversary are going to be missed from a gathering perspective. As such I suggested we shuffle some dates around and have it this weekend instead of later in the month.

Started off preparations last week making the bacon for some bacon burnt ends (due to the 10 image max, I'll save some of the boringness by skipping to tossing the slab of cured bacon on the smoker with the pork butt this morning. For those interested I used 1.5 % salt, 1.5% pepper, 1.5% sugar and 0.7% jalapeno powder for the cure for the bacon. Pork butt was a 5.5 lbs blade roast bone in rubbed with a blend of stuff I found in the cupboard from previous cooks so I can't get more specific than that.

I0000xPVC5eFRB3Q.jpg

3.5 hours into the smoke for the pork belly I pulled her and cubed her up, tossed in my no. 5 sauce with some extra rub and brown sugar and sent them back outside for a few more hours of heat and smoke. Everything today was done with some Apple wood and Sugar Maple chunks (2 & 1 to start and 1 to finish at the end).

I00008vDDkWNA1QQ.jpg

After 7 hrs on the smoke for the butt, she came off and was double wrapped waiting for a good pulling a bit later on. Ended up with ~2.6 lbs cooked meat from this particular roast which is about where I had expected.

I0000xTNLmlAHy34.jpg

The burnt ends were chilling on the heat for a bit longer before getting brought in to plate, but they sure did pick up some colour and a bit of caramelization. Different from the last few batches, this had more flavour in the meat, and more spice from the cure. They were more meat than fat compared to the other end of the belly and as such had a really nice bite to them, but not as much squish. They disappeared pretty quick though which is all that matters in the end.

I00009Fweg6npLWM.jpg

The rest of the meal had some homemade pretzel buns, slaw, quinoa black bean salad, and more sauce which made for a pretty filling meal. A bucket of wobbly pops as well to ensure celebratory moods were in place.

I0000QMR1siAjeKs.jpg

I0000YtHUpSI7YxE.jpg

I0000wJzC8utkvV0.jpg

I0000nx4Jyof5Xk4.jpg

Not the best plated pic, but it'll do for gauging what the meal was looking like!
I0000Fsmpmg9NyLY.jpg

And what celebratory meal would be complete without some dessert? So my better half spun together a no-cook Toblerone peanut butter cheesecake so we didn't have to heat up the house with the high temps today. She's a keeper I'd say and after 12 years of marriage and 19 years of putting up with me, I think we've hit a rhythm of sorts.

I0000MbgfvVTxRLM.jpg

That's all there is, and there is no more. We have left over pork if you're in need and out this way though hehe just no burnt ends

Not sure what trick you used to get the butt off in 7 hours but I want to try it - I seem to be 10-11 hours running HH (275-325f) and that's with foiling at ~8-9 hours in.

Not sure how to describe my appreciation of the rest - fan-freaking-tastic.

Looks great!

And your comment about "rubbed with a blend of stuff I found in the cupboard from previous cooks so I can't get more specific than that" I find I get some of the best tasting food doing that exact same thing.

Thanks Clint, this was only a "half butt" being 5 lbs or so. Not sure if you have the same issue at same size. It started falling apart when I grabbed it to pull off so it was as done as I needed in the end.

Thanks everyone, it did go off great!
Cliff - the salad was from and for my brother in laws gf who is a "slight vegetarian", which usually means in my place you will have a bit fewer options. Arguably that was a nice clean refreshing flavour which worked really great with the rich fatty pork belly and the pulled pork.

Now planning the next gathering at the end of the month and I have started menu planning, should be a big pile of grub there too ;)

Back