LCD display issue

JJenkins

On my new build, my display is not showing all the 'pixels'. Half of the top row is out, and it looks like part of the left side of the display as well.
20180707_205216_zpsokogndpe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I touched up the connections, but it's still happening. Is this just a reflow issue, or something more major? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon

It could be any number of issues. Check your connections on LCD, make sure you don't have any solder bridges connecting pins together. Check the shift register for the same. Post some close up pictures of the top and bottom of both boards.

My guess would be the display itself is faulty. I would assume you’d be able to see all of the pixels that make up the 16x2 display.

Oh yeah that display is definitely borked for some reason. They're supposed to be QCed at the factory so I'm not sure how this sort of thing could slip by, but it is the *second* LCD I've seen like that in 3 years of selling kits. I was looking into some cheaper LCDs in other sizes and forms and was surprised to see that manufacturers were quoting something like 1.5% cosmetic defective rate and 0.4% non-functional defective rate. That seems pretty high to have 1 out of every 250 non-functional.

In any instance, I can send you out a replacement LCD/Button board and all the parts. You'll have to resolder the whole thing but I think it will be a lot quicker than trying to desolder just the LCD to replace it. I'll email you about getting it out to you.

My display worked great for a couple years and now there's a single line missing across.
It happened after I left it in the rain overnight (and powered on all night).

I suspect yours didn't get wet since it's a new build.

Back