4th of July First Time Gassers Only Cook

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Had some friends come over for the 4th which was kind of nerve racking for both Barb and I as we had to use the two gassers due to fire restrictions.
First time I’ve ever cooked baby backs on a gasser. Used Jim Lampe’s high heat method. Just a shade over two hours. Love that method Jim.

The two gassers for the cook

42540687294_346efdf592_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6152 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Used my homemade rub.
I placed the ribs on the back of the grill with the front burner on high and the middle and back burners off. The E320 settled in at 365.

43210063482_66ae37d8d4_z.jpg
[/url]100_3512 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Placed two chunks of apple wood over the front burner on the grate. My thinking was that the air is pulled up from the bottom and exits through the back of the grill which will pull the smoke over the ribs. Worked pretty well seeing that the ribs only had 45 minutes of smoke they had a nice mellow smoke flavor.

28389838667_b0c6d2f366_z.jpg
[/url]100_3526 (1) by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Foiled after 45 minutes with brown sugar and apple juice. Left in the foil for about 40 minutes indirect then unfoiled and direct for 5 minutes and indirect for 10 minutes more. Foiled and covered with towels to rest.
Ribs were moist and tender came off the bone clean but not fall off the bone.

I also made my version of Cliff’s root beer beans on the gasser which are always a hit. Those came out great also.

43210062582_94400648b2_z.jpg
[/url]100_3516 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’ll let Barb do her part as I was busy enough with mine. Actually Barb had more going on then I did.

As Rich did his thing this is what I did.

Jalapeno appetizers, with cream cheese, R & G bell peppers, small Jalapeno and onion minced. Cooked one Italian mild sausage link added everything together. Then wrapped them in our home made bacon. Cooked for about 30 minutes indirect heat at 375*.

[
43210061822_6d4ebdb6a2_z.jpg
[/url]100_3518 (1) by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG

28389839537_1cd24900dc_z.jpg
[/url]100_3523 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

For my chicken thighs I used the Louisiana Chicken fry mix. This is awesome stuff and so simple. The chicken came out nice and crispy.

29389279398_0be69d59c6_z.jpg
[/url]100_3530 (1) by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Finish off with my garlic breadcrumb corn on the bone. Melted some butter with grated garlic and Panko crumbs. Cooked stove top stirring until golden then added some parsley. Then I mix my mayonnaise with Weber’s Boston Bay seasoning together set aside. Cooked the corn on med. high heat, turning often till charred in spots. When done I brushed on the mayonnaise and rolled in the Panko crumbs.

Our guests brought a creamy potato salad to round out the dinner.
Sorry no picture of the corn it was hiding in the oven staying warm and we forgot about it until we were just about done eating.

29389278008_86275c8d73_z.jpg
[/url]100_3560 (1) by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yesterday was the best day of the year....it rained really hard. First drops of rain in seven months! More to come, the monsoon's are here. ;)

29389278678_85322f1fd1_z.jpg
[/url]100_3554 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Looks like a heavy rain storm.........much needed......... The food isn't too bad either :)

Looks like great work as usual from you and Barb!!! Bet the guests left happy and stuffed!! Does the rain mean a possible end to the charcoal restriction?

Looks like great work as usual from you and Barb!!! Bet the guests left happy and stuffed!! Does the rain mean a possible end to the charcoal restriction?

No Dan not yet it will take quite a bit more before they will lift the restrictions. we're hoping by the end of the month.

Boy, oh boy.... when you two have a feast... you go big! Everything looks great!!! Hope you satiated your guests. If not, don't have them back.

Am glad the gassers work well for you. Did you ever do the gasser pulled pork?

The pic of the rain makes me feel so baked, to say the least. Jealous....

Back