7-6-18 Sure Was Warm

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
here at 4:00 pm in the shade:

5Nxxz3o.jpg

On the patio:

gfMgwgN.jpg

No A/C. Just ceiling fans, personal fans and alcohol.

Last edited:
That's not warm Robert that's HOT. Been hot here too but not that bad. Yesterday was a great day for us we got about an inch of monsoon rain, the first rains of any kind in seven months. This is just the beginning of the monsoon season with more on the way.

It hit 117 here in the San Fernando Valley yesterday. Was still over 100 at 11:00 o'clock last night. Alot of people lost power including my sister in law & niece. I've never seen weather like this!

That's not warm Robert that's HOT. Been hot here too but not that bad. Yesterday was a great day for us we got about an inch of monsoon rain, the first rains of any kind in seven months. This is just the beginning of the monsoon season with more on the way.

Want some company for several months?

Robert... How about dropping by and picking me up on your way to Rich's place...

Was only 116 yesterday, 109 today. Chance of an isolated thunderstorm !

I think most of you left coast folks are familiar where Huntington Beach is. My Daughter lives there, less than 2 miles from the pacific ocean it was 117 there on Thursday.
A new record.
Here it hit 99 today then the rains started about an hour ago it's now 85 at 3pm.

Robert... How about dropping by and picking me up on your way to Rich's place...

Sure. As soon as I get a go from the Dahls>.

I'm packing our bags.

Good God. I've never endured heat that oppressive.

The worst around here was about 105° some years back.

Robert, you don't need charcoal or gas to cook with. Just place the grills in the sun!

I hope you folks get some relief soon!

I think most of you left coast folks are familiar where Huntington Beach is. My Daughter lives there, less than 2 miles from the pacific ocean it was 117 there on Thursday.
A new record.
Here it hit 99 today then the rains started about an hour ago it's now 85 at 3pm.

Didn't you have those fire warnings that you could not use charcoal? So if you got some rain did they lift the ban? Where your daughter lives in HB if they have that much heat if they are that close to the Pacific does that heat come with a lot of humidity?

I had no idea about this until now. Those temperatures are unreal for the populated areas of California. My thoughts and prayers are with those of you out there.

Jim

Rich, I sure hope that you are right about the monsoons. We have seen years here where they turn out to be basically nothing. We have only had a few drops so far this monsoon season.
I'm glad that you guys got some though. By the way great job with those gassers. I could never do that with gas, you are definitely on top of your game.

Didn't you have those fire warnings that you could not use charcoal? So if you got some rain did they lift the ban? Where your daughter lives in HB if they have that much heat if they are that close to the Pacific does that heat come with a lot of humidity?

It's always a little more humid along the coast, add the heat and it gets pretty sticky. But nowhere near as humid as Chicago in the summer.

The thing with the monsoons is they're spotty, might get an inch of rain here and a block over none. If the rain keeps up the forestry folks will go out into the grasslands and forest areas and check the moisture levels.
If they find it moist enough they will go back to stage one, I don't anticipate that happening until at least the first of august.

Want some company for several months?

Love to have you guys stop by, our 7 month old black lab Abby (AKA Wild Child) would love to have a couple of new chew toys.:rolleyes: Got two freezers full of meat, cold beers in the fridge. Eight grills and smokers and a sofa bed and cold A/C.
The only thing is that the monsoons can be deadly and unpredictable. Lots of cloud to ground lightning, very high winds and torrential rains. A few years ago we had six inches of rain in one hour and it caused over $5000 of damage to our landscaping and home. We had bowling ball sized rocks in a retaining wall that ended up destroying our garage door, the water was so strong it just moved those rocks like they were marbles.
If you remember four years ago the 19 Prescott hot shots that were killed by a fire caused by monsoon lightning. You could actually end up in a worse situation here than where you are now. Especially if the lightning hits in areas that are still bone dry. Can't win no matter where you are.

Last edited:
Rich, I sure hope that you are right about the monsoons. We have seen years here where they turn out to be basically nothing. We have only had a few drops so far this monsoon season.
I'm glad that you guys got some though. By the way great job with those gassers. I could never do that with gas, you are definitely on top of your game.

The last few years have been real light for monsoon activity. This year they are predicting much above average activity and it's starting to show they may be right, had two days in a row now with some pretty good rain fall. The forecast for the next 10 days is 60% chance or higher. Just hoping the rains come without to much lightning.
Actually the challenge of the gassers only has been kind of fun, not my first choice but it works. Next up pulled pork.

Last edited:
Thanks Rich. With temperatures slowly decreasing here (and possible weather conditions getting worse there), I think I'll stay put. Would have loved to be a new chew toy for Abby, given our experiences with our (almost) 6 month old German Shepard and assistant pitmaster, Tenzing.

And I’ve been complaining about 95!? Humidity has been between 70-85%
Heat index was 100-115 for about three days, this weekend has been delightful!
My heart goes out to all of you in fire prone areas, many prayers offered up for a return to “obliging temperatures”.
Best wishes to all afflicted by this.

Thanks Rich. With temperatures slowly decreasing here (and possible weather conditions getting worse there), I think I'll stay put. Would have loved to be a new chew toy for Abby, given our experiences with our (almost) 6 month old German Shepard and assistant pitmaster, Tenzing.

If we didn't have Whitney our golden retriever, husky, coyote mix to play with Abby I don't know what we would do. Abby is sweet but like most black labs wants to be your best friend 24/7. At least playing together Abby burns off a lot of that puppy energy.

Well right now at 10:45am it's 101 so things are heating up here again.

Back