buzzing buzzing buzzing

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I know I am not the only person to deal with this. Tinnitus is driving me nuts. Like hearing a gazzilion cicadas buzzing in my head constantly. Any other old farts around here find anything that helps? It's driving me nuts

I get it too, I don't think there's anything you can do other than try to ignore it and prevent further damage by wearing ear protection.

I have it in both ears, and have for years.
My right ear went totally deaf in 1993, sudden hearing loss syndrome, but the buzz is still there.
I'm an old fart, but can't help other than to say you just have to try and keep your mind off of it.
A fellow on my Pentax forum has it bad, and he said it helps to get a song stuck in his head, aka earworm.

Yeah it started coming on really bad when I began working at a large airline. Even with protection the sound of a giant engine running many times only 10' from your head is unreal. Loved my job when I had it but I think it did permanent damages. I asked the Dr and she offered to send me to an audiologist and said she'd heard of special hearing aids that make a "counteracting" noise but that they were outrageously expensive with limited results. Lately it's been REALLY REALLY bad to the point it's driving batty

Have had it since the late 90s. Has gotten a bit worse since. But somehow I'm able to ignore it most of the time, just another sound surrounded by other noise. No cures so far. Might use ear buds and listen to music, that sort of thing.

I have had it for some time now as well. Seems to be getting worse. Sadly for me the only relief are earbuds. You wouldn't believe how many podcasts I subscribe to. I did not watch the vid from above but was told you can buy hearing aids that will emit the same tone you are hearing which in effect equalizes or neutralizes the ring you hear.

I never really noticed it until after working around jet engines all the time at a major airline. Even with protection I am sure I did damage as the noise from an engine the size of a city bus (as in a Boeing 777) screaming only a matter of a few feet from you is almost painful even using plugs. The noise does subside somewhat from time to time but never fully. At times (many times) it becomes deafening to the point I cannot hear a conversation or the tv and everyone around me complains on how loud the TV or radio is and I cannot even understand it (the sound device). On a TV at least I can do the CC mode but on a radio I cannot. Although I guess between all the other things going to hell on my body I guess this should be the least of my concerns

You are not hearing the noise. The nerves are sending the signal to the brain. Not much can be done with that. Plus it also occurs just cuz yer getting old.

I feel your pain I work in Aviation for 46 years on jets of all shapes and sizes, i believe the APU to be the worse screaming for hours at super high RPMs. Some Days worse than others.

Yeah those APUs are loud but at least in my job at O'Hare I had to stay on the passenger bridge until and they would shut off both the main and the APU engines as soon as the GPU was plugged in. Unless the GPU wasn't working or the capt forgot. Oddly I miss all that noise now

I do have issues with that. I sleep quite poorly very deep for very short periods so I really don' know how it feels to actually have a "full" night sleep and than have fits of fatigue and sleepiness during the day. Especially after my workout or a meal. I don't know if I can fully attribute it to the "sounds" or other factors i.e. stress, medications I take, etc.

So my oldest brother has something similar, although perhaps not as severe. FWIW, his last resort was an acupuncturist. He claims it helped, albeit marginally at first. After nearly a year of visits, he swears that it’s much better. Not gone but fading. Hope this helps and good luck guys.

I have dealt with it over the past six years. A doctor gave me something called temazepam (a benzo drug) to take as needed for sleep, but I had a reaction to it and had to stop. It may have been withdrawal even though I was only on the med for less than two weeks. Nevertheless, I shook uncontrollably for a while, and I almost went to the ER.

I just came across this thread. Just wondering if there has been anything new for this in the last 4 years? Yeah, I have it also.

I've had it for 10 or 12 years. It seldom occurs when I have my hearing aids in though. Most often a very high-pitched tone that I'm physically deaf to in the ear it's in and usually when there's little or no ambient noise. Don't recall ever experiencing it in my better ear. Luckily, I have no problem sleeping because of it.

Back