4th of July Lamb

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Freezer diving turned up a 2 1/2 pound boneless leg of lamb - remnant of a shawarma cook a while ago.

Rubbed with K salt/black pepper and marinated for an hour in the fridge with a mix of garlic, fresh rosemary and evoo.

It went for a spin in the 14.5 over a full ring of used charcoal and several small splits of pomegranate.

UDB1bVb.jpg

Cooked in the 500* range (my money is on the smoke for accuracy) to an internal temp of 130* or so.

p3T0kxR.jpg

W6If3gX.jpg

Pulled and rested for 5 minutes.

TJd4SVP.jpg

And then sliced.

W5RtkaP.jpg

Sorry... no plate for this post.

A bit overcooked, but still good.

Lovely cook Robert!
How did you manage to get a rotisserie for the 14.5?
I would love to have one!

Robert, did you make adjustable bushings for the spit rod?
Well, at the outboard end anyway? If you did I’m again impressed with your ingenious solutions. If you didn’t, where did you find the collar?

Last edited:
Another great winner by Robert. That was a fair amount of heat you had on that puppy:cool:

Thanks, Rich! Def a HH cook. Next time, will pull the lamb around 120*.

Looks delicious from here.

How is the Meater?

The Meater is good. I bought it mainly to use for rotisserie cooking. The ambient temperature it displays rarely agrees with my Thermoworks Smoke.
I contacted Meater about this and their reply was that I had the end of the probe too close to the meat, so that the temps were being influenced by this.
On this particular cook, I doubt that explanation. Especially towards the end of the cook. At any rate, I find it necessary to monitor pit temps before I add the protein with the Meater. So I continue to use the Smoke air probe as a check.

Previously, I was using a Maverick Et-75. It was problematic because it doesn't set an alarm if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter. Caused some grief on several occasions. Also the flimsy bracket that holds the transmitter to the end of the spit handle broke on the second cook. So I had to use double stick foam tape to secure the transmitter. The probe wire is also a minor pita to route. Usually had to carefully steel wool the end of the plug on the probe wire everytime I used it, otherwise the transmitter didn't "see" the probe. Outside of that, it works and I still have it. The Meater is so much more convenient to use.

Lovely cook Robert!
How did you manage to get a rotisserie for the 14.5?
I would love to have one!

Thanks, Anne. I made the rotisserie ring. If you can weld (I'm self taught and hardly a professional) and have some tools, you can do it.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?63...-for-the-14-5/page2&highlight=rotisserie+ring

Robert, did you make adjustable bushings for the spit rod?
Well, at the outboard end anyway? If you did I’m again impressed with your ingenious solutions. If you didn’t, where did you find the collar?

Hah... I'm not a machinist, but many times - I wish I were. Anyway, you can find almost everything you need rotisserie here: https://www.onegrill.com/

Last edited:
Looks like the diggin's in your freezer are pretty good Robert. I've been craving a leg of lamb cook and that looks terrific!

Thanks Robert,
I'll have a look see if I can find some material to make a rotisserie ring.
Although, while typing this, I think it might be easier to make a stacker for my old weber 18.5, as I got a rotisserie ring for that one.
Just need to talk nicely to my manager to get some welding done....

Previously, I was using a Maverick Et-75. It was problematic because it doesn't set an alarm if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter. Caused some grief on several occasions.

Wonderful looking meat. Lamb and mint sauce (not jelly :( ) is da bomb !

Your ET75 must be broken/faulty. When mine (same unit as you) loses contact (it was because either battery needed replacing so infrequent), I get a BEEP every few seconds. Very irrititating but average volume (I can hear it from the kitchen to the living room).

Once I reconnect, it's all good.

Sorry, mint sauce has been the thing that I never liked, my grandmother adored the stuff, she was very old school of course and thought it needed to be cooked to the most revolting colour of grey! No medium to rare, done to death was her way!

Back