New HM 4.3 guy.. where do I start with getting the PID and fans up and working?

SLevy

Hey everyone,

Im new to the whole heatermeter thing... I just got a 4.3 with some thermoworks probes. I got it to connect and work just for temp monitoring. But where do I start when it comes to making PID use of it? Which fans? Servos? Dampers? Wiring? Settings?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated,
Steve

Welcome and good work getting up and running! That's a pretty broad question though.

When there is a setpoint set, the HeaterMeter will run a control loop algorithm and power a fan and a servo to try to make Probe0's temperature equal to that. The wiring is in the wiki under Blower and Servo wiring. The default settings are OK to start with until you're more familiar with what's what. The wiki is full of information on general questions. If you're just wondering how to attach a blower or damper to your BBQ, then there are many threads here about just that. If you have a specific question then I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

Welcome and good work getting up and running! That's a pretty broad question though.

When there is a setpoint set, the HeaterMeter will run a control loop algorithm and power a fan and a servo to try to make Probe0's temperature equal to that. The wiring is in the wiki under Blower and Servo wiring. The default settings are OK to start with until you're more familiar with what's what. The wiki is full of information on general questions. If you're just wondering how to attach a blower or damper to your BBQ, then there are many threads here about just that. If you have a specific question then I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

So I am going to have to solder to the board to use a blower?

You connect the fan/servo through the CAT5 jack that is in the HEATERMETER board, pinout is shown on the HM schematic.

So I am going to have to solder to the board to use a blower?
Might want to have a look at that page I linked again. Use a phone cord or ethernet cable and cut one end off. The cut-off-end you solder the wires to the blower and use the connector end to plug into the HeaterMeter output jack.

Back