Brisket cook weird food probe issue

PaulH.

I've had a thermoworks smoke unit for a few months. I've used it several times with the pit probe only, but did my first brisket cook with it the other night. I put the probe in the side of the thickest part of the flat. Right away the brisket was reading way higher than the brisket should have been at that point of the cook. I confirmed with my therma pen and the meat was actually 40 degrees or so less than what the meat probe was saying. After the brisket cook I tested the meat probe in an ice bath and boiling water and the probe passed both tests. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue and figured out what happened? I'm guessing maybe I accidentally got the probe in the deckle when I inserted it (was dark outside and I was working with a task light). Otherwise is it possible the probe was picking up some of the pit temp somehow even though they are supposed to only read from the tip?

thanks for the help

That's a tough one. i haven't had any issues with my smoke. If anything, maybe the probe has an issue or you just placed it in a weird spot. I've had a probe in, then wrapped and put the probe back in and gotten a huge difference just because I didn't put the probe in the same places. Usually it's only an at most 10 degree difference.

Very similar the first time I used the Smoke.
The meat probe is so long, longer than it needs to be IMO, I think I had pushed the tip well past the center of the meat.
Now I keep the tip centered best I can and no issues.

Very similar the first time I used the Smoke.
The meat probe is so long, longer than it needs to be IMO, I think I had pushed the tip well past the center of the meat.
Now I keep the tip centered best I can and no issues.

You know that might be it. I didn't take that into consideration, I had a maverick before the smoke and those probes are much shorter. I will have to try again thanks

Back