Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Citrus juicer

TVWBB Super Fan
    I have this style of juicer, albeit without the extra leverage (I can break it pretty handily, I've already broken 2 of the lemon sized squeezers.) These work pretty well for me.

Pro tip, for those who don't have one: the cut citrus goes in "upside down," i.e. the cut side goes down against the cup with the perforated holes, so that the rind gets inverted. This gives you maximum extraction with a minimum of effort. This is counter-intuitive to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    I have this style of juicer, albeit without the extra leverage (I can break it pretty handily, I've already broken 2 of the lemon sized squeezers.) These work pretty well for me.

Pro tip, for those who don't have one: the cut citrus goes in "upside down," i.e. the cut side goes down against the cup with the perforated holes, so that the rind gets inverted. This gives you maximum extraction with a minimum of effort. This is counter-intuitive to some people.
    I have one that's plastic and one that's metal - I'd recommend the metal one for sure.
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    This one: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...XOG4B0/tvwb-20

Doesn't seem to be any reason to pay more for yellow, the green works fine on the lemons I buy.
    This is the one I ended up getting. As it happened, when I went to the grocery store today they had limes 20 for $1. I juiced about a dozen of them when I got home. Perhaps I'm expecting too much but I can't say I was thrilled with the new juicer. Not totally disappointed -- it does seem to do a slightly better job than the old one -- but it still seems to me it's leaving more than a couple drops of juice behind. I did find I could get a bit more if I squeezed once, then moved the lime up one side of the bowl and squeezed again, and then moved it the opposite direction and squeezed a third time. The second squeeze brought maybe a dozen additional drops, the third somewhat less.

Funny thing on the pricing and the colors. From the what reviews say the green and the yellow are exactly the same size, yet the yellow was a couple dollars more than the green. And the day after I ordered it the price had gone up $5. I guess I timed it right.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
    I normally squeeze the lemon half a second time after rotating it 180*, and that appears to yield the most juice that can be expected. Far better than just hand squeezing.
    Coquo, ergo sum.

since you're doing so many I can't believe you didn't go with a motorized version.

TVWBB Pro
    I did actually have a motorized one a long time ago. I had an attachment for my original Cuisinart for juicing oranges back when you could buy juice oranges for $0.49/lb. It worked pretty well on oranges. Not sure how it would do on limes. But that juicer got lost in a move long ago.

Pretty much I'm seriously space challenged in the kitchen and just don't need yet another single-task kitchen appliance. The handheld one is small enough to not be quite such a problem finding room for. I do wish it had a hanging hole in the handle though. Many of my smaller kitchen tools are hanging on the side of the refrigerator and it would fit there just fine. Maybe I'll have to drill a hole.

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHeyl View Post

Funny thing on the pricing and the colors. From the what reviews say the green and the yellow are exactly the same size, yet the yellow was a couple dollars more than the green. And the day after I ordered it the price had gone up $5. I guess I timed it right.
    20 for $1??????????? Super price! Ours are 2 for $1 .

The yellows are more expensive because they are riper and should provide more juice. Always look for yellow(er) limes than green. Green are unripe ones. Yellow are ripe. Both are the exact same fruit.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    20 for $1??????????? Super price! Ours are 2 for $1 .

The yellows are more expensive because they are riper and should provide more juice. Always look for yellow(er) limes than green. Green are unripe ones. Yellow are ripe. Both are the exact same fruit.
    Sorry, the yellow/green thing was referring to the colors of the juicer. They have green, yellow, and orange. Apparently, when these were first available the color suggested the size and intended fruit, but somewhere along the line they dropped at least one of the sizes, so the yellow and green differ only in color. It's not clear if the orange one is larger. I've seen reviews that say it's the same size and others that say it's larger.

As to the limes, 20 for $1 is a remarkable price, particularly for this store, which is usually high priced. Interestingly, lemons, sitting right next to the limes, are $1.39 each.

Ripe limes don't taste like what we think of as limes. Always get green ones and use them before they turn yellowish.

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Been trying to sell the smoker and missed some of this.
    Thanks Chris, exactly. Power Take Off. Saving the money on the limes might almost pay for,the Kitchen-Aid!
    They last for years.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Pro
    Wanted to post an update. It turns out that manual juicer I bought is not intended for doing more than a couple pieces of fruit at a time. Not that it isn't up to the task, but the hand and wrist of the user is not designed to do that much work in that position. I did a dozen limes, two dozen halves, and each half two or three times because they were smaller limes and I wasn't getting enough juice. The next day my wrist hurt like hell and I couldn't use my hand in certain positions without a great deal of pain. Repetitive stress injury. It's been a bit over a week and I'm just now starting to get close to full use of my hand again.

So I went looking for an alternative. Cooking Illustrated did a test of citrus juicers. These are all basically power reamers. After I rejected their $150 top-place selection, I checked on the $20 runner-up. They said it did an okay job and for $20 it was a good bargain. I must have caught Amazon at the right time because I got it for $17.

I just finished juicing my first batch of limes with it and have to say I was favorably impressed. It comes with two reamers, one for limes and lemons and one for oranges and grapefruits, has an adjustable pulp filter, and a receiving pitcher that holds 20 oz. It went through a dozen limes in short order and I was able to get very good extraction of juice. On my last purchase I bought two dozen limes. The first dozen were the ones that gave my wrist fits. I just barely got 12 oz. of juice from the dozen, and that only by re-squeezing most of the limes two or three times. From the remaining dozen, using the Dash Citrus Juicer, I got 15 oz. So either I managed to randomly leave the twelve largest limes to the end or the juicer did a significantly better job.

If you're looking for something to juice citrus on a budget, take a look at the Dash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12