Stall at 184

Neal Slaton

Smoked a pork butt yesterday (well a small ~3.5 pound piece of a butt). Didn't hit a stall until 184. It stayed at 184 for ~2 hours (was smoking 225-250). I cranked up the smoker to about 275 and after another half hour it started to climb. Anyone ever hit a stall this high? I mostly hit 158-165 stall on most things. It turned out great so not a huge deal, I was just surprised.

It's happened to me at a slightly lower stall-temp (178), and lasted for about 2 hrs. It was a couple of summers ago, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong: Nothing deviated from the usual plan at all. Notes on the cooks were identical. The thing I never accounted for was the weather...

Best answer I got from a couple of folks with more experience, was that the humidity accounted for the higher stall temp. Dunno if this is accurate. I did a pork butt (3lb) two days ago on the most humid day we've had in years, and it stalled at about 155 so I'm not totally convinced about the humidity.

Yep! I've hit a stall there a couple of times. One time it was actually the second stall of that cook. Blew my mind.

Back