Condiment Wars

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a long time since I've mused about anything. But a few days ago I noticed something at the grocery store and said to myself, "Now that's the perfect meaningless topic to muse about."

GtDHHfR.jpg

Have you noticed that all the big players in the condiment business are trying to horn in on the other guy's traditional territory?

Historically, when I think of ketchup I think of...Heinz. Yes, Hunt's is also there, along with store brands, but Heinz was and is the boss.

Yellow mustard? French's, of course. There's always been Morehouse Mustard and others, but French's is the big dog.

Mayo? Hellman's or Best Foods (west of the Rockies), of course. There's also Kraft Mayo and Miracle Whip, but in my household it's always been Best Foods.

Then a couple of years ago, I noticed that Heinz Mustard started showing up on grocery store shelves, in the same upside down bottle as their ketchup. Then more recently I spot French's Ketchup at the supermarket. And now in the last couple of weeks, I see Best Foods Ketchup on the shelf and Heinz Mayonnaise making its debut.

It makes me wonder...WHAT'S HAPPENING?!?!

OK, maybe not quite that scary.

I assume the truth is that Heinz and French's and Hellman's/Best Foods all make ketchup, mustard, and mayo for commercial food service applications. But now each company is no longer satisfied being pigeon-holed in the consumer space as "just the ketchup company" or "just the mayo company" and they're moving into each other's traditional space in the supermarket. And from what little I know about how big companies get shelf space in supermarkets, there must be some BIG MONEY and BIG INFLUENCE being thrown around to make room for yet another brand of ketchup or mustard or mayo.

And in another wrinkle, did you know that Kraft and Heinz joined forces in 2015 to become KraftHeinz? So when they bring out new Heinz Mayo they're competing against their own Kraft Mayo and Miracle Whip. Or maybe they figure that Heinz Mayo will take business away from brands other than Kraft? Who knows?

I guess the strategy is working, because a while back I switched from French's Mustard to Heinz Mustard and don't see any reason to go back. And I just bought a squeeze bottle of Heinz Mayo...our household may become an all-Heinz household.

Have you noticed this phenomenon in your local supermarket? Have you tried new brands other than the one you've traditionally used? What does it take to get you to switch to another brand--or are there some brands you'll never quit using? Have you tried the new Best Foods Ketchup that uses honey as its sweetener?

I've never cared for Heinz ketchup, I prefer Del Monte myself as for mustard French's is the stable in almost all homes but I really like Guldins spicy brown mustard better Mayo will aways be Best Food.

Been using this for a long time.

Found at Amazon??

71X6JJ%2Ba6yL._SX425_.jpg

As for mayo, this is king in the south...

(seems like the Duke name is plastered all over this area: Duke Power / Energy, Duke University. I'm surprised Duke's doesn't have their name on BBQ. Back on topic now.)

81%2BpckxMaeL._SY679_.jpg

With that said, oddly enough, we use Helmann's. (don't tell anybody :eek:)

The last jar of Helmann's we bought had a Helmann's ketchup packet attached to the top. I look forward to trying it. Heinz makes pretty good ketchup too.

We also bought a jar of Heinz mayo, but haven't opened it yet.

Last edited:
I used to like “Brooks” tangy ketchup. Not so easily found anymore.
Boetjes stone ground Dutch mustard is pretty good! Don’t know how widely it’s available, worth the try if you can find it.

Barb is the condiment queen here. All I care is it needs to be a name brand such as Heinz. Best foods, French's etc. She watches for sales and stocks up if we need some. It must be a super competitive market because one of the major chains here had the large Heinz 38 oz. ketchup on sale for a $1.25 a bottle. We won't need to buy any ketchup for a long time now.;)

I am brand loyal to a fault: Heinz Ketchup, French’s Mustard, Hellman’s Mayo. No substitutes.

It goes deeper: Weber outdoor cookers, Royal Oak charcoal, Thermopen thermometers, Whirlpool appliances, Ford cars/trucks, John Deere tractors, Stihl yard equipment, Dewalt power tools, Wonder bread, and on and on.

That’s just me.

Dwain, I’m very much like that, I find a good product, I tend to be brand loyal. Sometimes I feel forced to give up. When quality fails, time and time again. Condiments are not a big deal but, other things I try to give a baseball chance (3 strikes...) at full count, I’ll change pitchers!
Brooks(Tangy) catsup (thanks for the human spellcheck, Bob) used to be pretty easy to find around here but, maybe I’m getting Heinz lazy since my sister moved to Pittsburgh!
I still like Kikkoman soy sauce (Wisconsin product). Dad worked for International (Farmall cub was his line) one family friend worked for Deere, another for Case!
Food, food, food!

Last edited:

Back