Thread: Replacement grates for baby q

Replacement grates for baby q

I have a baby q and the cast iron grate that comes with it is beyond disgusting after a few years. I want to get a replacement but not cast iron as itís too annoying that clean and very heavy and no interest in spending 60 bucks for a new one. Does anyone make a regular grate that would fit this?

TVWBB Olympian
    Regular grates will not work. Part of the ci grate design is to cover the burner but to evenly distribute the heat. It's part of why the q is so great.

You can buy a stainless steel cooking grate that is designed for the Q100. However, it is pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...S23PP3/tvwb-20
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

TVWBB Pro
    Look at GrillGrates if your grates were as bad as mine. Their grate just fits over the old rusty existing grate and can be used with the grate side or the smooth side up for either grate marks or a sear. Your other alternative might be to pick up a used cheeep!! Q that still has a decent grate. My GrillGrates have performed very well for me.
    tom bauer
    WSM 14.5,18.5, CB22.5, SJSilver, Q220, Q300, Q320, 18.5, 22.5, Kettle

Ugh. So whatís the best way to clean this cast iron grate? Power washer or RE-season like a cat iron skillet?

Probably going to need to take a wire wheel to it if it is real bad. Yes, then re-season like a CI skillet and keep it clean after that.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

And forget putting ANOTHER set of grates on top of the current grates. Forget for a moment my low opinion of the GrillGrate product. Adding another layer of metal is wasteful at best. The cast iron Q grates are not terribly expensive, they're engineered to work PROPERLY with how a Q works. The Q grills operate primarily by contact rather than radiant heat transfer. Which is why they're so heavy and made of cast iron because it is the ONLY material that will work properly in a Q other than say the cast stainless steel ones I have seen listed. But, honestly if properly cared for and kept seasoned from the start they will last for a VERY VERY long time and will cook better than anything else will on that application.

Understood. Just hate the idea of paying almost half what the grill is worth for grates. Grates on my wsm are $15.

Look at it in terms of how many years use you'll get rather than what your grill is worth