Looking for Low Salt or No Salt recipe's for beef and pork ribs

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I have a friend that due to a serious Heart Attack has to be on a low sodium diet but still loves good BBQ and wants me to cook for him, particularly beef ribs and pork ribs.

I havent experimented with this type of cooking so I don't know what to expect or how to compensate/substitute for lower salt and how it will affect the flavor.

Also any suggestions of a good sauce recipe that is lower salt but still with a good flavor would be appreciated.

Thanks

Generally speaking, with lower salt, you'll want to up the acid (vinegar, etc) and spice (chilies) just a bit.

I wouldn't be concerned so much with flavor as with retention of moisture in the meat. I experimented a while back with a very low sodium diet (well under 1gm/day) due to a tendancy for kidney stones. I have since moderated my intake to a more comfortable 2 gm/day. I found my taste buds adjusted over time such that what others thought was good was far far too salty for me. I suspect your friend has (or will) develop the same tendancy and not miss the salt. What I'm suggesting is to not rely on your own taste buds to determine whether it is good without salt or it needs a little boost from other ingredients. That said, for myself, I always cut back on the salt in recipes (BBQ included) and no longer miss it.

I would concentrate on moisture by using injections, the WSM water pan, foiling, etc.

Tom,

You could try something like Nu Salt. It's a salt substitute that contains no sodium. Not that's any of my business, but generally equally as important as minimizing salt is the very limited intake of fatty meats such as pork ribs. Just had to throw that in.

Paul

I hear ya!!! and after a bad heart attack he does limit his intake but occasionally wants to splurge so I figure I'll try and keep em lean render off as much fat as possible with a low and slow cook and try to use a rub thats lower salt.

Back