Can't Get Grill Hot Enough

Jon B

TVWBB Member
I'm new to charcoal grilling having spent many years on a gasser. I have a new performer 22" (non-gas) and a SNS. I filled the SNS with about 70 lit coals and I couldn't get the temp over 300. I was aiming for 325 - 350. I was using Kingsford original and top and bottom vents were full open.

I lit the coals in a Weber chimney and let them burn for about 15 - 20 minutes before dumping them in the grill. I put tin foil down instead of a drip pan. It was almost 90 degrees outside. Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

Did the foil cover the bottom vents? Was the top vent open all the way? If all the vents were clear (unobstructed) and open all the way, the temps you were looking for should have easily been achieved.
Just a thought on a starting point,
Tim

Water in the SNS ?70 coals isn’t a lot (from my experience), what were you cooking, how long were you planning on cooking? I’ve not used one a SNS but, have been offered the use of one.
The concept is interesting but you might need a little more experience, I’d start with a full charge in the chimney and go from there.

I can't remember how many coals it takes, but the last time I grilled on a 22" kettle, it took a heap of coals to get some decent grilling heat. I downgraded to an 18" model with good results.

EDIT: I see you're talking about something called a Slow N Sear? Maybe my advice is not applicable here.

Last edited:
15 or 20 minutes in the chimney ? Half the coals a burned by then. The hottest you can get is with the lid off. Not sure what you are trying to incinerate at those extreme temps.

I'm new to charcoal grilling having spent many years on a gasser. I have a new performer 22" (non-gas) and a SNS. I filled the SNS with about 70 lit coals and I couldn't get the temp over 300. I was aiming for 325 - 350. I was using Kingsford original and top and bottom vents were full open.

I lit the coals in a Weber chimney and let them burn for about 15 - 20 minutes before dumping them in the grill. I put tin foil down instead of a drip pan. It was almost 90 degrees outside. Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

All of the previous advice was good, IMHO. I will add that there's a beginners mistake on the WSM that may be happening here too. If you fill the SnS trench with COLD water, then a lot of the BTUs you produce with the charcoal is wasted on bringing the water up to boiling.

No offense intended, I don't understand it when people say they cannot get enough heat out of charcoal. It's like saying I fell out of my rowboat but I didn't get wet. Was the rowboat on a lake or on dry ground? If you properly light quality charcoal and give it airflow, its natural tendency is to burn and make heat. If that is not happening, you have only 3 areas to check: It didn't light, you have insufficient oxygen getting to the charcoal, or your charcoal is bad (such as being water logged).

The best way I have found to make high heat is to start with half the charcoal that you think you need- and use lump instead of briqs. Get it good and lit and spread it out. Add another half on top of that. Leave it uncovered. And then about 10 minutes later add another half. [yes that's 3 halves]. You should be able to get a heat high enough to melt an aluminum can, which doesn't happen until over 1200*F

The best way I have found to make high heat is to start with half the charcoal that you think you need- and use lump instead of briqs. Get it good and lit and spread it out. Add another half on top of that. Leave it uncovered. And then about 10 minutes later add another half. [yes that's 3 halves]. You should be able to get a heat high enough to melt an aluminum can, which doesn't happen until over 1200*F

Never thought of the 3rd half, ingenious. When I want high heat I pretty much do the same. I start with a full chimney of KBB and put that down on the grate. I dump a bunch of unlit lump on top of that and in 10 minutes I have a high heat fire.

I use a full chimney of lump for high heat grilling. If I want it super high I let the lid sit on the metal legs of the handle creating a sliver of an opening at the back of the cooker. After a few minutes it’s blazing hot. More air = more heat

If you're using a SnS and were trying to go for a full chimney lit before you dumped them in, you should have had no problems maintaining temps in that range. It sounds like you're choking out your fire somewhere. Adjust vents or remove foil would be my suggestions.

I'm going to guess he put the lid on too soon after dumping the charcoal. I'll dump and leave the lid off for a few minutes. If I want it really hot I'll wait for flames before putting the lid on and with all vents open leave the lid cracked for extra air flow. Most of the time when I'm grilling my lid temp is 500-600 degrees when I first put the lid on and dial it down from there. The high temp helps clean the grates. If I'm smoking I will dump and put the lid on right away.

I use a full chimney of lump for high heat grilling. If I want it super high I let the lid sit on the metal legs of the handle creating a sliver of an opening at the back of the cooker. After a few minutes it’s blazing hot. More air = more heat

Having a hard time imaging this in my mind for some reason.

Dwain is right on. First off, lump will get hotter than briqs.

Secondly, the slightly ajar lid will allow greater airflow for high heat, as well as contain most of the heat that would be lost if you were lidless.

Also, keep adding more lump ever 10 to 15 mins to keep the burn going.

Back