NEED HELP: Adding side burner to Silver B. What hoses/regulator do I need?

Garo Y

Hi everyone,

I’m purchasing a Weber side burner that would normally be installed on a “C” model and want to drop it in on the left side of my Silver B, in place of the table. Can someone direct me to the correct regulator and hose assembly I would need to accomplish this?

I figured the “HR5B” would work (see link), but the catch is that since the burner would go on the left side, I would need a long hose to reach to the propane tank on the right. If you need details I may have left out, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

https://www.grillparts.com/weber/silver_b.asp?product_id=HR5B

Last edited:
The side burner is made to go on the right hand side (facing he front of the grill) of a long frame model. Best of my knowledge what you're trying to do will not work without a lot of gerry rigging and the like. You'll need some kind of an adapter because the fittings on the side burner won't fit that regulator either

Is that an original weber side burner that he installed there or is it aftermarket? If it is an original, it is very interesting that it can be placed so nicely on the left side instead of the work table.

Definitely not a Weber burner. There is no housing. I don't have a clue what that burner is from. I figure from some Chinese junker though because of how cheaply it's made

From the description of the video:

"We lifted the side shelf from this Genesis Silver B model barbecue and replaced it with a Weber side burner from a Genesis Platinum C grill. We changed the LP hose and regulator to a double-hose and regulator and changed the hose on the bottom of the side burner so the same LP tank feeds the BBQ and the range top burner."

/endthread

Than they removed the housing from the burner. That lower housing is important BTW because it controls proper air flow to the burner ring.

What year is your Genny? On a 2005, the side burner will drop right in on the left, but you'll have a bit of a gap between it and the end trim piece.

As for the regulator, look underneath and check your manifold to see if it happens to have a quick connect fitting to use with a sideburner. If so, you'd just need a secondary gas line to run from the manifold to the burner. Would definitely use one of those flexible metal ones.

Hi Dave, thanks for your response, and thanks to all who responded earlier. The burner on its way to me is definitely a genuine Weber side burner. My Genesis was made around 2000-2001. I’ll have to take a look under the manifold, otherwise I’ll do the dual regulator and run one hose to the burner.

As far as the metal hose is concerned, it’s near impossible to find online- I may run a regular hose and route it down along the lower frame of the grill to keep it away from the heat for now. The burner will be here on Thursday so I’ll update with more info. Thanks again!

You're welcome Garo. There's all sorts of stainless steel propane/lpg/gas hoses available on Amazon if you end up going that route.

Just go to your local Home Depot or similar and buy a stainless 3/8" gas line. They're easy to find

Ok guys, the burner has arrived. As you'll see, and as some of you mentioned, there is some work to be done if I want to go through with this... I had to remove the rear frame bolt that holds in the gray side handle of the grill and would probably have to remove the front one as well. Then, I would have to lose the flip-up table, as the side burner assembly sits on top of that and doesn't allow it to fully seat down into the frame. So, I need to decide if I really want that burner, or if keeping the tables in place is the better choice. What would you guys do?

Here are some photos to give you an idea of what I'm looking at:

42499579594_97b470ff24_z.jpg
[/url]s-l1600 by GaroJr, on Flickr[/IMG]

s-l1600-3 by GaroJr, on Flickr

IMG_4068 by GaroJr, on Flickr

IMG_4067 by GaroJr, on Flickr

IMG_4069 by GaroJr, on Flickr

Last edited:
What I would do is find a Silver C grill to rehab or at least a frame from a Silver C that you can swap your parts over to. It is possible to put extensions on the right side of your Silver B, but again you are going to end up with something that might not be just right. The best bet is to start with a frame that was designed for the extra burner to begin with.

Just keep your eyes open and you should be able to find one for under $50 if you are willing to wait and keep your eyes on Craiglist, Facebook marketplace and the other selling apps/sites.

That is how I would handle it anyway.

Sounds like the logical choice to me. Sometimes you just need someone to actually tell you that though. ;) This Silver B is in great shape and I don't want to chance it. I think if it would have just dropped in and the hose fittings were the only issue, I would have gone ahead with it.

Last edited:
Yah, Keep the Silver B in its pristine state. Don't turn it into a Franken Grill. There are better ways to get your grill with the side burner.
It is kind of like putting big tires on a Chevy Mailbu and calling it a truck.
Maybe go with a genesis 3000 instead of a Silver C.
Two grills are always better than one.

I kinda knew that would happen as again when I look at that video one of two things. Either that is not a true Weber part or B, it has been heavily cobbled up and perhaps even made unsafe.
Another way would be to re-fabricate your frame on the right hand side to accommodate the burner

I picked up a genesis 3000 awhile back which had the side burner. I removed it and add another shelf made it a 2000. I add the side burner to another cart and it's used only for lighting chimneys for my JJ and WSM. My genesis E320 has a side burner and I checked to see if it worked and the lid hasn't be up since and I've had it four years.
I much prefer having more work space than a side burner I would never use.
With that said if you want a side burner get a silver c or a genesis 3000 as others have said. That is a nice silver b you have and you could easily transfer the grill to the new frame and have a side burner where it belongs.

Back