Royal Oak Premium Vs. Royal Oak Natural

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I've tried the Royal Oak premium briquettes worked great for grilling but worthless for L&S they wouldn't lite off of each other.
Got two bags of the of Royal Oak all Natural Briquettes on sale, but can't use them until the fire restrictions are lifted.
Don't know if it's just rebagged premium or something new (at least to me).
Anyone know if they are different?

EDIT:

Did a web search on Royal Oak All Natural Hardwood Briquettes, I can find premium, lump and some others but no mention Natural Hardwood Briquettes. Bought them at Walmart, weird.

Last edited:
Haven't seen the natural (other than their labeled lump as natural). Totally concur with your assessment as we'd agreed in a different post that they are pretty junk for smoking. I do love the cost for the bags for grilling though.

Is natural the same as classic? Local Lowes had Royal oak premium & Royal oak "Classic premium hardwood charcoal briquettes" on sale. I've never used royal oak & wondered what the difference was, so I picked up a couple of bags of each.

Brian...

Woodshed OC has Royal Oak Chefs Select in stock. Just picked up 4 - 40# paks today, along with some Blue Hog lump.

Royal Oak claims the new All Natural is the same as Chef's Select in a smaller size briquette.
They have so many different brands, names, and definitions it's impossible to know what you're getting.

Royal Oak claims the new All Natural is the same as Chef's Select in a smaller size briquette.
They have so many different brands, names, and definitions it's impossible to know what you're getting.

After going on their web site I agree. That's crazy!

After going on their web site I agree. That's crazy!
They don't even list the ones mentioned above, and others I've seen.
Kingsford has a large plant here in MO, and RO has several plants, mainly buyouts from mom and pop producers.

I like RO for HH cooking, doesn't have the white stink on start up and a pleasant aroma and gives a light smoky flavor. It was $4 a bag at Walmart I got only two bags as my shed is now holding 28 bags of charcoal and is full. Here it's already July with stage 2 fire restrictions in place. I think I'll have plenty of charcoal even if they lifted the restrictions tomorrow to last until labor day.

Weird, maybe, but think I like Royal Oak Natural briquettes better the Weber coals. That's odd considering the two are made by Royal Oak (at least that's what I was told).

Back