Making a Open Pit Smoker with a Weber Rotissere Motor

Andy V

TVWBB Member
Has anyone seen this? I was interested in convering my weber rotessery motor fr the genisis into use for an open pit. I would need a heat sheild since there is plastic on the motor, and would also need to create a longer rod for the meet to be connected to. Any one try this?

All%20Stainless%20Steel%20Cordless%20Open%20Fire%20Rotisserie%20System.jpg

http://bbqpitboysshop.com/rotisseri...ordless-open-fire-rotisserie-system-dual-post

I've seen open pit setups but don't have one and never thought about adapting my Weber motor for use in one. Keep in mind the weight limit rating, which on my Kettle rotisserie is 20 lbs.

I want to make one of the spring powered “clockwork” kind! I saw one once and it was really clever, I wish I could remember where I saw it, I think it might have been at a music festival twenty some years ago. There are YouTube vids of one somewhere but, I don’t remember where.

That should work nicely! Funny story though, I was looking pretty closely at our bylaws here in Calgary - and officially it is unlawful to cook meat over open flame, it is also unlawful to cook and or produce smoke after the hours of 12am and before the hours of 10am... As such long cooks are a bit more difficult now that we know, course I would suspect its only an issue if one of your neighbors wants to complain.

Last edited:
I find if I invite neighbors now and then, there is significantly less friction on those long overnight smokes. I try to be considerate.

Good suggestion Tim! Case is a good guy to put that kind of question to, he does some interesting little tricks and modifications and shares his talent pretty freely. I like the use of washers for the spit rack.

Back