The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: first cook on the wsm

TVWBB Member

first cook on the wsm

Happy with my results from last Sundays cook. Never used a smoker before so I marinated overnight and spatch-cocked a whole chicken to start with then followed by 3 split racks of ST. louis ribs. Started the smoker at 8:30 am with 2 chimneys full in the ring and one full chimney lit then threw a few chunks of pecan and man did I like that taste. Chicken hit 160 at noon and then threw the ribs on no added wood. Had to choke 2 of the vents on the bottom and the other was closed and the top was closed 1/3rd and she ran at around 250 ish. Checked the bottom of the grill yesterday and the basket had a lot of good charcoal left. Really rewarding cook the whole family really liked the ribs. First time on a smoker or grill for that matter. Chicken went into the fridge for a weeknight meal.
    :26"blackkettle::22" blackkettle:wsm18::

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Good for you Jim. Sounds like you've been doing this for years
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

That's great to hear! Glad everything came out well.
    14.5" WSM, 18.5" WSM, 18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, SJS, Spirit E-210

Excellent! The journey is just beginning...
    26.75", Vintage 26", Vintage 22", 22.5", PK Classic

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZ View Post
    Happy with my results from last Sundays cook. Never used a smoker before so I marinated overnight and spatch-cocked a whole chicken to start with then followed by 3 split racks of ST. louis ribs. Started the smoker at 8:30 am with 2 chimneys full in the ring and one full chimney lit then threw a few chunks of pecan and man did I like that taste. Chicken hit 160 at noon and then threw the ribs on no added wood. Had to choke 2 of the vents on the bottom and the other was closed and the top was closed 1/3rd and she ran at around 250 ish. Checked the bottom of the grill yesterday and the basket had a lot of good charcoal left. Really rewarding cook the whole family really liked the ribs. First time on a smoker or grill for that matter. Chicken went into the fridge for a weeknight meal.
    Thanks for posting.

Great to hear.