Power Washed Side Tray...

SJWoo

Okay...so I did something that I thought was a good idea but now I think...no. I own a Genesis Silver B, and while I was power washing the deck, I thought why not power wash the side trays (gray plastic trays). The power washer is not super powerful, and I used the most spread out setting. It looked great, cleanest it's been since I brought the grill home like ten years ago but the day after, I now see a fine sparkly powder when I run my fingers over the surface. And the surface itself feels kinda gritty.

Long story short, I think I took off a layer! What can I put on here to protect it and keep it from breaking down further?

Maybe some kind of plastic protectant? I don't know why it would have damaged it though. Others have used all kinds of cleaners and cleansers on them with no issue

Sand/buff it down with some super fine sandpaper, then give it a thin coat of mineral oil.

A good vinyl or plastic protectant should bring them back. Aerospace 303 protectant is good stuff and has UV protection which is the downfall of plastics and vinyls.

Sand/buff it down with some super fine sandpaper, then give it a thin coat of mineral oil.

Agree with Dave, but make sure it's food grade mineral oil as it's going on a surface where food may be present. I've used that method on a few grills and it works great.

Thank you for all your responses! I already have mineral oil, so that's an easy one to try -- if that doesn't do it, then I'll go for Aerospace 303.

Back