The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Smoke flake??

Smoke flake??

Hey everyone, I previously had to clean the inside of my WSM18 with a scouting pad do to mold!! And now I have a nasty flake that happened yesterday during my cook.. so use a brush to remove, scrub again or let it be?!? Thanks in advance

In case you want to read a proven mold-removal method, this is it: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cleanup.html#burnout

Are you referring to carbonized grease discussed here? http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/faq.html#peeling

TVWBB Pro
    I had to clean some flaky stuff off before my last cook. I just used a couple paper towels and ran them over the surface to knock off the flakes. I think it's just carbon that's built up and started to flake. You don't want it on your food but I don't think it's anything to worry about. I knocked it off so it wouldn't fall on the food.

Yea it happens, normally my inside lid looks like a well seasoned cast iron pan, but when using water or cooking a lot of meat that has moisture, then you start to peel off all that good seasoning.
    I always whack my lid with the side of my fist to see if any flakes fall off. If they do I'll invert and do a quick brush over.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Nice picture of your “twin”Chris!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett