Costco Snake River Farms brisket find. worth the extra cost?

john enea

TVWBB Fan
been away from my smokey mountain for a few too many years because..... well life happens. anyway..

Was at the Mountain View costco over lunch to pick up a prime brisket to do for the 4th. interestingly what they did have was snake river WAYGU brisket. did a double take cause I was surprised, happily, and stopped looking for the prime as I want to give the Snake a try and see if its worth the extra cost and lived up tp the hype. I bought 2 as the butcher said it was a one time purchase and they didnt think they were gonna get more in. If I can go back later I might get 1 or 2 more and try to freeze the. Do they freeze well? Are they worth the extra cost over prime? I know only I can tell, but what do you think?

john
43160601271_ff949452a5_c.jpg
[/url]20180702_133302 by John Enea, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
I just got back from the Poway Costco - didn't see any SRF brisket, but I did pick up a 11 lb prime packer for 3.99/lb.

I'd say that based on the buzz you see on the Pit Master shows, the Wagyu should be tasty, indeed. And only $1 more per pound!

Flats were selling at $6.49/lb! I guess that tells you how much the markup is for trimming.

Also, Costco is selling the twin pack of Kingsford Competition charcoal for $18 ($5 off the regular price).

For just $1 more per pound, I'd try it. I've read American Wagyu isn't the same though. If a cow is only half Wagyu, the meat can still be called Wagyu in the US, but not Japan, something along those lines anyway.

I read on Instagram that my buddy at Smoked Seduction found SRF briskets at Costco in Livermore, CA. There have also been sightings in San Diego, Scottsdale, Austin, and DFW.

These are the Black Grade briskets, not the tippy-top Gold Grade ones. I say buy 'em if you can find 'em. :)

What! Mountain View? That's a great deal. And it's not far away. To answer your question, John, yes. They freeze well. For those of us who buy them over the internet, they come frozen.

I'm guessing the ones you saw are not frozen. I don't know if they have been previously frozen or not. But if they have not been, then yeah, you can buy more and freeze them. I'm iffy about refreezing. They are on the small size but for the money it is a good deal. I was in the Costco in San Jose today and they didn't have SRF briskets. Good luck John!

The texture is different on the SRF as compared to certified angus. I've also tasted Japanese waygu brisket (frozen) and well, yeah, that blows everything else away. I'm about to taste fresh Japanese wagyu in a few weeks. I'll try to post something about it.

Last edited:
I bought 2, but am thinking of getting one more today to make pastrami with. the label does say commodity grade on it, but I assumed that was not a big deal. Guess I gotta eat it to find out. was thinking of putting them on tonight around 11 or so and do an overnight, wrapping in paper tomorrow morning and holding till 5 or so to eat em up. just dont want to over cook it with an overnight, but hell, why not give it a try.

they had 4 more in the fridge at costco. all of them were in the 15-17 pound range. i got the smallest 2 as i have an 18 inch and really hate have the manipulate them to get them to fit. gotta get me a 22" as size matters! they had a lot of snake river tri-tip there as well, but at $12 a pound, I figured the brisket was a better deal

Back