Has anyone roasted a chicken (not smoked) on WSM?

G Dechaine

TVWBB Pro
I was planning on doing another rotisserie chicken this weekend. But cooking it on the WSM has appeal, in order to get some nice charcoal flavour. I'm sure someone has used the WSM to roast a chicken. What's it like? This would be high heat, trying to get the skin crispy.

They turn out great roasted on the WSM. I've used a foiled, empty water pan, opened all of the vents 100%, and let 'er rip!

Oh yeah it's a great way to roast chicken. As Steve said, empty foiled pan, let the temps rip to 350 or even higher. And don't stop at one, roast 2 or three and make roast chicken salad or a host of other great things.

Yup. We're not partial to smoke on poultry and use the WSM as an oven. Like the guys above, no water in the water pan and higher heat (crispier skin). Also like to stand the birds (think beer can or vertical roaster) if possible, but not necessary. Just 60-90 mins is enough. We're also partial to cornish game hens this way -- easier to marinate and more tender (and quicker ;-) HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">has anyone roasted a chicken (not smoked) on WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not on purpose, but yes, several times.

FWIW, with the rotisserie attachment on the kettle I prefer >600F, I'd recommend at least 450F if the WSM can reach it. I think you'd be fine so long as you have a heat shield in there & no water & open vents. .... probably take 1.5-1.75 hrs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_K:
Oh yeah it's a great way to roast chicken. As Steve said, empty foiled pan, let the temps rip to 350 or even higher. And don't stop at one, roast 2 or three and make roast chicken salad or a host of other great things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
+1
Throw a few on some beer cans and let 'em go.

Found an old james Beard recipe today. It said to preroast 50 cloves of garlic. Stuff them in a chicken with some rosemary. Truss and roast the chicken. Sure sounds good to me.

Back