Bone in thighs

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
l whenever I cook bone in thighs the skin always gets nice and crispy. But then at the end when I put the sauce on the skin gets real soft I think because it’s steaming from the sauce. Should I be letting the chicken cool a little bit off the grill and then glaze to keep skin crispy? Thanks

Not sure if I can help.
I do not sauce my chicken thighs as such.
I normally marinate them and add the left over marinate when cooking. If you continue cooking the skin will crisp again.

If you have a lot of sauce, I would suggest serving the sauce on the side

I’d serve the sauce on the side too, the thigh is so moist that the skin crisps upbut there is enough residual moisture in th meat that when you put the lousy sauce on the top of the skin, you end up having the “outgassing moisture” from the meat coming from the inside and the sauce moistening the top resulting in in the skin getting soft again.
If you think the sauced skin is critical to the end product, finish it off with some direct heat to brown off the sugars in the sauce and that should help but, watch it, the sugar can burn faster than you might expect.

Corey, don’t be surprised if this thread gets moved, I think Chris might put this under “recipes”.

Last edited:
If I'm going to use sauce I do it as a side and wait till the chicken is plated and it's still a 50/50 chance that the skin will get soft.

Excellent point, Kevin! Not everyone wants the same sauce. I’ve gone to not saucing much at all anymore, too much sugar in most commercial sauces (some of which are really good!) for my dietary boundaries. In the last year or two I’ve changed up my methodology in deference to dry rubs. That way there’s crisp skin, less sugar, lots of flavor with the added plus of sauce diversity!
Vive Le difference!

Sometime ago, I tried using ground rice mixed with spices on chicken thighs and they gave the most amazing crispy skin.

Back