Looking for shipping advice for a large heavy object, box, shipper, etc

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Here's the deal, I have an octagon shaped box, with a heavy object inside, that needs shipped to the west coast from St Louis, MO.
The item, and box, both need to be well protected.

Measurements are 30" high, 23" at the widest points, and 21" flat side to flat side.
It's the vintage 18" WSM going to Chris A.
Amazon shows shipping weight for a modern 18" WSM at 50 lbs.
I'm sure this weighs more since the box is pretty heavy duty.

Any and all ideas welcome. Source of a suitable box, best shipping method, etc.
FedEx has a 28" double wall cube box, not sure if it could be customized to work.
I thought about checking with Lowe's or HD for a reusable box.
Thanks in advance!
Here's what it looks like in the backseat of an Explorer:

Last edited:
I really have no idea. ( custom carrier?) Maybe talk to the UPS store. They have always been helpful to me and all my delivered goods where undamaged.
That's a good thing your doing Bob!

Tim

I can tell you from experience... don't even think about using a moving box. They're intended to be moved by hand, not by machine with multiple three-foot drops along the way.

Depending on the weight and the dimensions of the shipping box you might be better off having it trucked rather than shipped via UPS/Fedex. Get a pallet and use plastic wrap to secure the box to the pallet. Then you won't have to worry about a shipping box. As long as they don't try stacking anything on top of it, which is unlikely, you should be fine.

I would recommend taking it to Fed Ex or UPS and see what they say. When I sold lots of stuff some odd shaped and some quite heavy on EBay Fed Ex was very helpful in getting my stuff where it needed to go safely.

Maybe Chris would come and pick it up??;);) Seriously, I'd do exactly what Timothy advised. I'd go into our UPS Store and they'll take care of it and even pack it for you. Looks like there is at least one in St. Louis. They are individually owned franchises that handle packaging and shipping, not the regular UPS Distribution facilities which handle the routes and drivers. Good luck. This is a nice thing Bob.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Maybe Chris would come and pick it up??;);) Seriously, I'd do exactly what Timothy advised. I'd go into our UPS Store and they'll take care of it and even pack it for you. Looks like there is at least one in St. Louis. They are individually owned franchises that handle packages and shipping, not the regular UPS Distribution facilities which handle the routes and drivers. Good luck. This is a nice thing Bob.
Cliff,
My Glen Blue shipped FedEx to CA without a hitch, and we have a store nearby.
I did some serious packing to protect it.
I plan to stop by FedEx this week, give them the specifics and photos for an estimate.
Maybe get one from UPS too.
As far as my helping out, most of us would do it for our leader, plus, it's been fun!

I think it is also important to understand if the box it is currently packed in, is as important as the smoker inside. Looks like original packaging, so I do not know if Chris is wanting to keep that also. May want to look at websites such as UShip.com. If there is flexibility on time, then may find someone who is heading that way that may be able to add it to their load for a reasonable cost.

May also be able to find shipping crates online. Here is a link to one, where they are selling them for $50 https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/d/heavy-duty-shipping-crates/6622855679.html . Not sure how that competes with UPS or FedEx packing.

Find all the members between St. Louis and San Francisco and let them drive the WSM to Chris. :p

Go to a plumbing supply store and ask for the box that a new water heater shipped in. The shape of that vintage WSM looks like it would fit inside such a box. And you could mount it to a pallet, as was mentioned above, if it's too heavy for UPS, etc., and ship it via freight.

If it's in the original shipping box why not just ship it via fed ex or UPS? That box was made for shipping it

Bob,
A viable alternative is Fastenal. Yes, the bolt and nuts guys.
I read about them on some of my auto restoration sites and guys have shipped motors/transmissions/and rear ends across the country at a very reasonable cost without an issue.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(third-party-logistics)

When I was looking to ship a 140 pound John Deere lawnmower 700 miles away the cost was $125.00. Fedex wanted $275.00 to give you an idea of cost. Not many people know about this service including Fastenal employees themselves as when I called my local branch the person I talked to has no idea about a shipping service and had an area rep call me back.

It would be shipped strapped on a pallet so no fear of damage.

Look into it and let me know what you find.

Jeff

Last edited:
Bob,
A viable alternative is Fastenal. Yes, the bolt and nuts guys.
I read about them on some of my auto restoration sites and guys have shipped motors/transmissions/and rear ends across the country at a very reasonable cost without an issue.
Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff, I'll check them out.

I'm just curious Bob. How did you come by that vintage WSM? From what I can see of the box, it looks in perfect condition. I still remember that purple Weber kettle you gave to one of your family members shortly after I joined the forum. I know you take meticulous care of your possessions.

Should have known there was a thread somewhere. Thanks for "enlightening" me Bob!

Me too Bob, remember seeing the tread and took a look but never went back. Sort of put it together, but revisiting the original thread tells the complete story.
It's going to the best keeper ever.

Back