Howdy ya'll from San Antonio Texas!

Walter Friend

Howdy all,

just fired up my new WSM 18". did a chicken to warm it up, worked great. Cooked a 7lb brisket yesterday: minion method charcoal, mesquite wood chunks, water bowl 3/4 full, held 235 - 250 deg cook, after 6 hrs internal temp was 165 and stalled.
I have to admit I went for the Texas Crutch and the temp jumped from 165 to 200 in about 50 minutes.
Great bark, good smoke ring,
but meat was a bit on the dry side,
must have been overcooked?

i had trimmed the fat, and the flat was quite thin.
advice please!
Thanks!:flagkettle:wsm22:

Welcome to the board! It's hard to get a brisket flat juicy, especially if it's that thin. I'd probably crutch a flat like that. ( I'm assuming it's a flat because of the weight) It might be overcooked (dry and crumbly) or undercooked (dry and tough.)

Walter good to see you braving a brisket cook on a new WSM. I have real input as i have only done one in my life.
Great part of Texas, I lived in Universal City for a few years. Love the hill country.

I treat brisket like a pork butt, i start to probe around 185 to 190 to test for resistance going for a smooth probe in and out.

Hi Walter. Hard to say why it may have been dry. May have been the cut of meat was rather lean, which may have been a factor, especially if it was rather thin and most of the fat had been trimmed.

Back