Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lodge Cast Iron Griddle

I wonder if you need a Mason card to flip burners with that

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    I wonder if you need a Mason card to flip burners with that
    LOL, I doubt it would help. I had to resort to my long handled Coleman spatula to flip the burgers after one began to tear apart. A few of them wanted to stick to the bottom of the trowel, too, but the spatula scraped them off in short order.

I smashed 10 two ounce burgers today, and I used a potato masher with the trowel for extra leverage. I thought I did a respectable job for my first time out, but I am not sure if the crustification was up to standards. Nevertheless, I thought the burgers were OK. Are they better than flame kissed? Not at this time, but I will try again soon.

Not the best of pictures, but here is my triple-decker burger, and a shot of some leftover patties in the bottom of a pot...

For what it's worth, the patties cooked down to 1.6 oz in weight, and they were not dry at all. A little kosher salt provided good seasoning.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

Looks good. THey're a nice change from a regular grilled or griddled burger I find

Thanks!

I spent time last night on Roku watching smashburger videos, and I saw good ideas such as using parchment paper to prevent sticking to the press, meatballs up to 4oz in size, using 85% ground round, using a spice mixture of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, special sauce mixtures, etc.

I was also thinking - what's to stop someone from making smashburgers on a griddle, and then doing the final flip onto a charcoal grill? Assuming the charcoal grill can accommodate the griddle, you could get the best of both worlds.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    we camped in the Chevy “Greenbriar” van that he’d converted for very comfortable camping, I wish I still had it!
    That's too funny. I used to love camping and picked up a 9 passenger Greenbriar van and converted it into a camper van getting a lot of stuff out of a wrecked Volkswagen camper van. Loved the thing except it was gutless, got a 165ci 140 hp corvair engine out of a 1965 Corsa and warmed it over and was getting about 170 hp. That put a whole lot of life in that corvair van. Surprised a lot of people. Wish I still had mine too.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

I couldn't place them at first, but now I remember them. I didn't realize the model was so old...

Yep Chevy's answer to the old VW van

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Ours didn’t have the pop up,or the “Belly band” but, close! Dad made the whole interior conversion removeable with a “key piece” of 3/4” plywood on the floor. In ten minutes it could be returned to a cargo van! I miss my father and his creativity with those things.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    Dad made the whole interior conversion removeable with a “key piece” of 3/4” plywood on the floor. In ten minutes it could be returned to a cargo van!
    Quite possibly the very first Transformer!

Tried cooking some salmon fillets and a single piece of cod on the griddle today. I used coconut oil to keep the fish from sticking, and I used a sprinkling of Tone's Rosemary & Garlic spice for added flavor. Ordinarily, we cook fillets in a basket, but the griddle / coconut oil combination was outstanding...

In case you're wondering, the top veggie is Bob's famous Redneck Caviar, the veggie on the right is a reduced sugar Kale salad with pecans, and the bottom entree is garden fresh stir-fry squash.

Best dinner I've had all week!
    Last edited by Rusty James; 07-11-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast