Smoked Meatloaf ... unsexy, but oh so delicous

Brian S Albin

Smoked 2 pans of meatloaf for lunch today. Straightforward process with a great end product. Below are my cook notes and a few photos. Hope you enjoy.

Equipment
---
14.5" WSM
Therm Pro TP20

Recipe
---
3lbs of meat (2 - beef, 1 - sausage)
Veggies (red pepper, green onions, garlic)
Binder (eggs, milk, breadcrumbs)
A few spices and splashes of Worcestershire sauce

The process
---
. Made loaves the night before and rested in the fridge
. Minion method with ~20 lit coals over a full ring of KB unlit and 2 chunks of pecan wood
. Cook time - 1 hour 40 minutes
. Temp - steady climb from 300 to 375 degrees
. Therm Pro was invaluable as the dome temp was off by up to 75 deg from the probe through the grommet
. Rotated loaves between racks at the 1 hour mark
. Minor fiddling with the bottom vents over the last 40 minutes to slow down the temp rise
. Added sauce at the 1 hour 30 minute mark
. Taste was outstanding with a nice smoky flavor

Photos
---
28243230617_368ac8618e_b.jpg
[/url]Cooking on the smoker (early) by Brian Albin, on Flickr[/IMG]

28243231387_2478fc32db_b.jpg
[/url]Cooking on the smoker (late) by Brian Albin, on Flickr[/IMG]

43112615351_50ac2815b4_b.jpg
[/url]Cooked and resting by Brian Albin, on Flickr[/IMG]

43112622351_7101689dcd_b.jpg
[/url]Dinner plate by Brian Albin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Brian, those loafs look great. Plated picture looks tasty too. Barb does the meatloaf's here, she very seldom makes the same one twice she likes to try different combinations always an adventure, but always very good. Now that I've seen yours I'll have to let here know it's been awhile.

We only do meatloaf in the smoker anymore. You may wish to try placing slices of cheese, (cheddar, pepperjack, etc...) on top once pulled. The residual heat will melt the cheese.

I did an all-beef meatloaf on the smoker last week. I slightly modified a recipe I got from the ATK web site. It was fairly basic -- onions, celery, garlic, crackers, egg, a few spices -- but did have one twist I've not tried before. It called for 3 oz. of finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese. I didn't have any Jack on hand so I used some Gouda I had smoked a couple months ago. Finely shred and then put it in the freezer while prepping the remainder of the recipe. Just before forming the loaf crumble the mostly frozen cheese into the mix. I couldn't tell there was any cheese at all in the final loaf but it was definitely moist, so I have to think it had some impact on things.

Always love a smoked meatloaf. Yours look great. I see meatloaf sandwiches in your immediate future.

Looks damn good to me. I do love me some smoked meatloaf but the wife isn't super keen on it... so I don't often get it. May have to remedy that soon tho

First off Brian, welcome to the forum. Those are two awesome looking meat loafs and smoking them is the only way to do them. Your plated pic tells the story for sure.

Back