Brisket rest question

M Rose

TVWBB Member
I’ve read that Aaron Franklin uses commercial ovens to rest his briskets for up to 10 hours before serving them so this got me thinking.

I’m doing a 15lb prime full packer for the 4th and was wondering if after it is finished I could just let it come down in temp, re wrap with butcher paper and throw back on the WSM with my DigiQ set at 150 degrees and hold it there for 3-4 hours? Would this be a better method than the faux cambro I have been using? Has anyone tried this?

That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer but I have not been disappointed in resting a little while on the countertop, then storing a few hours in my cooler. My wife has remarked about the beach towel smoky aroma but she hasn't told me to stop doing it. So I guess you would close the vents for a while once you pulled the brisket to bring the temp down in your WSM?

I think it would be great if you can hold that temp. Franklin uses Alto Shaam holding ovens set to 140. I've noticed that smell too holding in a cooler with towels and I'm not a fan of the smell either.

Last edited:

Back