First brisket on 18:5 wsm

RBerr

Smoking my first brisket. I got an 11 lb at butcher. The brisket went on around midnight. Just used a dry rub. Got up a few times in the middle of the night to check temp on wsm and by 3am it stabilized around 235. Temp was 235 when I woke up at 7. Have the temp probe in the thickest part of the point and it is reading 170 and it has stayed there for about an hour and a half)

Guess I have hit the stall. My plan is to wait it out and not wrap but if the stall lasts for another 2 hours or so, is it too late to cover if I change my mind (it would be on for about 10 hrs at that point)

Good morning, don’t sweat it, it will stall for as long as it takes, I don’t wrap, never have. The first one is intimidating, the rest will have their moments but, take your time, enjoy the time and be patient.

Thanks. Almost 11 hours and temp on smoker up to about 245. Temp has risen to around 180 in the brisket and hung there for since about 945. My hope was for it done around 3 so I think I am good shape for that. I opened the top to check and 6 and 9.

I assume I do not need to open the lid again for at least a couple of hours. Saw my coals were almost gone so I added a little bit more.

When it hits 195, I’d pull it, foil and wrap in towel it into a cooler until slicing time. It will be great! Don’t worry about it.

Well, not too much anyway!

At 12.5 hrs it was 195 in point and 205 in flat. Wrapped and put in cooler at 1245. Dinner is at 6. Will I need to warm in the oven and if so at what temp for how long

If you double wrapped it in HD foil then it will probably still be above warm enough when you're ready to slice. 30 minutes in a 350° oven should be plenty if you need it. Leave in in the foil for the reheat.

I agree with Lew, that is the way I’d do it! Let us know how things turn out!
Doing some very nice sausages for tonight but, not I want brisket!
It’s ALWAYS something!

Decided after six hours in cooler to put it in the oven for about 20 min as we had it going at 350 anyway. The very end of the flat was a little dry but overall it was fabulous. Will post some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Exceeded expectations. Company was ecstatic.

Back