Question on hood thermometer types - which one is better?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I have question about the center or side mounted hood thermometers.
Around 2005 Weber introduced the center mounted hood thermometer with the stubby sensor. Before that they had the side mounted ones with the long sensor.
The side mounted one basically measures at the grates but the center one measures about 4“ to 5“ above the grates. Which one do you guys prefer? Not talking about optics but about usefulness.

The side mounted one is dual purpose, you can use it to measure the temperature of your meat too. It pulls right out and is designed to be used that way.

I just wonder how accurate the side mounted ones are since they are near the end cap plus they are way on one side. I also kind of like looks of the placement of the center mounted thermometer. But, really, it isn't something I worry over. I think the lid thermometers should just be used as a general indication of what your grill is doing. If you really want accuracy, you should invest in a remote thermometer that can be mounted basically right at grate level where the food is or anywhere in the cook box you like. The ability to use the side mounted thermometer as a temp probe for the meat is a neat concept, but you better pull it out and let it cool before using it or wear gloves. And again, I would only use one as a guide. For accuracy, an inexpensive digital probe is much better.

The accuracy is definitely not great but for the side mounted one anyway you can test it in boiling water. There is a mark on the dial that says “test” at 212 degrees for that purpose. Also, heat goes up so measuring temp at the top should be pretty accurate, but I’d recommend getting a new thermometer. All the old grills I have had needed new thermometers. They are outdoors for like 20 years so of course they succumb to the elements.

I like the vintage look of the side mounted one's too.

I agree neither type is entirely accurate. But it does give a nice reference point and I wouldn't want to be without a good thermometer.

I like the side mount also, but I just use it for reference. I know that by using my remote digital that 4oo shows up as 300-325 on the side mount so I can get a feel of where I'm at without using the digital.

As a crazy person, I’m repainting my end caps because I had left drip marks and had done a poor job a couple weeks ago. Therefore, I have the side mount thermometer out. I cleaned it, and then wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol perfectly restored the window on the thermometer. Figured this is related and it looks great!

As a crazy person, I’m repainting my end caps because I had left drip marks and had done a poor job a couple weeks ago. Therefore, I have the side mount thermometer out. I cleaned it, and then wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol perfectly restored the window on the thermometer. Figured this is related and it looks great!

Also if you need a new side mount thermometer they are still available as I replaced mine after it finally died.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-We...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks guys. I know they are just a guide to see what your grill is doing. I still use a another thermometer with a probe. I was just wondering about the difference. And yes I like the idea that you can pull the side thermometer out. Never thought about that. But most of the time they are kind of stuck.

I just wonder how accurate the side mounted ones are since they are near the end cap plus they are way on one side. I also kind of like looks of the placement of the center mounted thermometer. But, really, it isn't something I worry over. I think the lid thermometers should just be used as a general indication of what your grill is doing. If you really want accuracy, you should invest in a remote thermometer that can be mounted basically right at grate level where the food is or anywhere in the cook box you like. The ability to use the side mounted thermometer as a temp probe for the meat is a neat concept, but you better pull it out and let it cool before using it or wear gloves. And again, I would only use one as a guide. For accuracy, an inexpensive digital probe is much better.

I am with you, Bruce. I never thought the dual use concept was all that realistic anyway; the side thermometer gets pretty sooty in short order - not very appealing to stick into your pork shoulder:p! For the classic Genesis, though, it just looks right. I do also like the center mount look of the later Silver/Gold/Platinum, however, which goes with their more modern style.

But in the end no grill-mounted thermometer can do what a high quality instant read (I like my moderately priced Thermopop) and what a probe thermometer can do, especially with remote monitoring (Thermoworks Smoke is a great choice:)).

They are $6 from Weber, BTW. Free shipping for orders over $50.

You're right but Weber charges $7 flat rate on most items, with tax it's pretty much a push with the EBay one.
Right now I'm not to happy with Weber after being treated quite rudely a few months ago when I wanted to order a new caster for my performer. I was told I needed to have the serial # as they didn't show a performer in my list of grills they have.
To buy a caster I need a serial #...… Really! So with that I shop elsewhere.

Rich, I am not defending Weber C/S, but I think the reason they ask for the S/N is that they want to ensure you get the correct part. I am sure people order parts and don't even know what model of grill they actually own. For instance, people ordering flavorizer bars for a Genesis when they actually have a Spirit.

If you order anything from Dave Santana (RCPlanebuyer) he requests you actually go out and measure you grates or flavorizer bars before he will commit to accepting an order. He states the same reason as I gave above. A lot of people just don't even know what grill they actually have.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.teltru.com/s-135-weber-genesis-gold-bc-grill-replacement-thermometer.aspx

I use a weber one and I don't rely do heavy on it, just to kind of know when the grill is preheated, etc.

Dustin: I think that one is way over priced.

What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.teltru.com/s-135-weber-genesis-gold-bc-grill-replacement-thermometer.aspx

I use a weber one and I don't rely do heavy on it, just to kind of know when the grill is preheated, etc.

I have an ET-732 had one for years use it in my performer, my smoker the 1000 once in awhile. However and I think Bruce has one this is the Apple of Remote Thermometers it will be my next purchase as the 732 is getting long in the tooth. I don't much stock in the built in Therms including the Weber.

On sale and this is a great price how long I do not know.
https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9pfv17_-2wIVAR1pCh3D2gCxEAYYASABEgLNnvD_BwE

Editing this Post and this kind of surprised me but not recommended for grilling so was thinking could put the probe in to monitor the grate temps which would be a lot more accurate but seems like you can't.

Smoke is designed to track temperatures over an extended period of time with moderate-heat cooking methods such as smoking meat, oven-roasting, deep-frying, homebrewing, and sous vide. Smoke isn’t meant to be used in place of a digital instant-read thermometer, such as a Thermapen MK4 or a ThermoPop, or used with high-heat cooking methods such as grilling or broiling.

Last edited:
For instead reads I use this and I love it, its their lower end model works great its no Thermapen but it does the job for way less money. They have gone up a bit used to be $25 bucks I think.
https://www.thermoworks.com/RT301WA?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB

Not available from Amazon I was just on their site and there is actually a warning that Amazon is not an authorized re-seller.

That looks really good. This is their Thermopop which I have found to be very accurate pegging room temperature, etc. (even registers when you walk outside and the difference under a tree!). Anyway, no it is also not a Thermopen, but it IS pretty much all I think I would ever need. I like the flexible multidirectional readout:

https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB

And, YES, DON'T buy from another source. Wait for Thermoworks to have a sale. They are a extremely good company with great products. That's why people try to pirate them. Go with buying directly. I sure have never regretted it. The Smoke is a low-n-slow barbecuing tool, so it should be forgiven for not being suitable for tracking grilling temperatures. I hadn't thought about that issue when I mentioned it previously.

Back