Bottom Vents not sealing well

Andy V

TVWBB Member
Good morning fellow smokers. I had a question and was curious if anyone has any insight.

I have moved 5 times from coast to coast in the past 4 years, and the professional movers have not been to careful with my smokers and grills ( story for antoher day). The recent move my botom vets got bent away from the bowl. Th bent them back, but now it seems that i am getting more airflow through these vents.

Any idea on how to get these to seal up better?

Also what type of HVAC tape can i use to put over the holes if i wont to, since i am using a temp controller.

I don't know how to fix stock dampers that are loose but are you aware that you can purchase a replacement set? This link will--I think--take you to Amazon for purchase but I would guess you could also order from Weber: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/replacement-parts-for-weber-smokers.html

On tape, I once asked a vendor from whom I purchased an ATC and was informed that what I could find at my local hardware store would be the same as what they use, lol. So by my own means I ended up going with 3M #3381 foil tape, purchased at Lowes. The logo on my package shows a 300* temp range but the chart from 3M's selection guide shows it at 350*. One might hope for a higher rating but I, personally, have not had any issues. I've used it on my dampers when I used an ATC and I use it on my Pit Barrel Cooker after my smoke when I want to snuff the lit coals. https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1012104O/3m-converter-markets-selection-guide.pdf

Check out the pricing on 3M's #363 tape, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for this question and tip, I just order a set from Amazon using the link on "replacements parts" above. Two of my bottom dampers are bent which makes it hard to keep the temperature down when smoking fish etc. The dampers get stiff from grit and easily bent when forced. They just bend back so this is a good fix. The top one is now really stiff, plan to hit it with WD-40.
It looks like you have to drill out the rivets and use the included screws to install new ones. They should work better and I'll be more careful going forward.

I drilled mine out, bent the dampers back to shape, then reattached them using stainless steel bolts and lock nuts. Works great, but the new ones from Amazon should work even better.

Just received Weber replacement vents kit and replaced my 3 bottom vents - wonderful results - now I plan to keep them clean and lubed so they last another 10 years.
Tips: you must drill out the existing rivets to remove the old ones, bit of a pain selecting the right drill bit and then the rivet spins with the drill bit, changed bit sizes, used chisel and needle nose pliers to get them out, no easy solution found by me. Still only took 15 minutes.
The kit comes with the stock vent covers, bolts, nuts and washers. I did add an additional washer. Adjust nut tightness according to ease of movement you want.

Back