Packer Brisket Temp Probe Question

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
Hey all,
Coming out of cloaked mode to get some sage advice for cooking my first whole brisket packer (have done just flats before) I want to do on the 4th.

I plan on using the High Heat method on my 18.5WSM

I'll be using my Maverick setup to monitor the internal temp of the brisket thru the cook but had some questions.

1) Should I place the probe tip in the middle of the flat under the point or at the exposed end of the flat?

2) Is the exposed portion of the flat to be considered sacrificial for tenderness since it may be thinnest?

3) Is there any concern for overcooking the point if the probe is in the flat?

Following the HH method, I'll separate the point from the flat *after* cooking, then save it to do burnt ends the next day.

4) Or, is it better to separate the point when pulling/wrapping at 170F internal temp, and finishing the point the next day?

Thanks!

I can answer a couple of those. I'd put the probe in the thickest part of the flat. It might be where the point and flat overlap slightly just make sure you are in the flat. The point can take more cooking so by the time the flat is done, your point should be fine. I'm not sure about doing burnt ends the next day. Someone else can answer that one. The thinnest part of the flat usually get's overdone. That's sometimes hard to avoid depending on how thin it is.

I put the probe in the side of the flat just before the point which is usually the thickest part. I use the temperature as a guide and probe test for doneness.

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

I'll put the probe in at the point recommended.

But, given my plan for cooking - I'll following the HH steps for separating the point after the cook and finishing it the day after the 4th for burnt ends
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

I'll post results later.

Wish me luck; brisket is my nemesis.

Ribs, butt, tritip - pppfffft. I can crank those out with no prob. Brisket? Makes me nervous.

Once you do this and see how easy it is you’ll never be nervous again.

Using the high heat method you’ll likely fry the probe cable if you use one. I recommend not using a temp probe. Just keep your cooker between 300* and 350*F with the built in thermometer for a couple hours. After 2 hours of no peaking, Ck the temp of the brisket with an instant read thermometer. If 170*F wrap it and go another cpl hours. If not go about 30 more min and Ck again. Repeat until it’s ready to wrap. They’re usually ready between 2 and 2.5 hours in my neck of the woods.

After you wrap it and let it go another 2 hours use a wooden skewer to check tenderness by probing around. If it goes in with no resistance it’s done. If there is resistance at any place in the meat: re-cover and let it go 30 min. Continue probing every 30 min until done. They usually take 4-5 hours total around here.

Last edited:
I did up my prime packer on the 4th using the HH method.

I had to prop open the door on my 18WSM to get up to 325 and then had to play with the vents a couple of times to get the temp to be stable.

But, I hit the 170F mark exactly 2 1/2 hours in.

I then put the whole packer into a large aluminum pan with a bit of beef broth and rub mixed in, then foil wrapped.

To save fuel, and since the rest of the cook was just about heat and no smoke I finished it off in the oven at 275F.

I was still using the Maverick meat probe and man I got to 205F internal temp much faster than I thought. It only took about 1 1/2 hours.

I did probe for tenderness and it just felt a bit tight, so I let it ride for another 1/2 hour. I got nervous thinking that the temp would be too high and I'd overcook it.

It did feel 'better' after that extra 1/2 hour, so I took it out, separated the point, wrapped the flat back up again. Triple towel wrapped the pan with the flat and into my cooler to rest for 3 hours.

I revived the WSM coals and got it back up to 225F to throw the point back on to bark up the underside. I only had 2 hours before dinner though and the bark never really formed/setup.

The flat slices were good - juuuust a tad tight, but still tender to the chew. It was not pull apart tender, but the flavor, smoke, rub, and moistness was darn good.

The burnt ends I cubed from the point were unctuous cubes of smoked buttery beef goodness. I would have preferred to render out more of the marbled fat and more bark, but I was pretty happy at my first try at burnt ends.

Maybe I'll put a sear on the cubes in the pan today for leftovers.

Sorry - no pics. They all turned out too blurry (I think the pitmaster had one too many refreshments :) )

Back