Thread: Stick burning in the kettle?

TVWBB Fan

Stick burning in the kettle?

Swmbo brought home some tri-tip & I want to try cooking with red oak. Any tips on how to do this? I do have charcoal baskets if needed... Thanks

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I've seen it done on WSM's. I think you'd be hard pressed to get the grate high enough over the wood on a kettle. Maybe you do away with the charcoal grate or something, but I'd worry about hurting the kettle.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

I think you would probably need a Santa Maria attachment for your kettle for this.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG 18 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I put some 1/4x20 studs through the upper part of my rotisserie ring which “might” get it high enough but, I have my doubts. Why not just go indirect and finish with the splits?
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Super Fan
    Burn the red oak down in to coals out side of the grill. Use a shovel to transfer coals to the grill.