Weber Q flames gone out when windy

Kenneth J

I previously had a Q200, and sometimes when it was windy outside and the grill was on the low settings, the flames would go out.
Not sure if it's because of the gaps in the sides, or maybe wind getting in through the bottom, or maybe sucking air out through the bottom.

In recent years I have used a regular kettle and a performer, but recently acquired a used Q120 for those days where I'm just cooking burgers or hotdogs.

It seems the problem is not so bad on the Q120, but it still does it sometimes. And since that little grill gets screaming hot unless you have it on low, that's where it's usually set.

Does anyone have any tips to using the Q grill in windy weather (apart from the obvious solution: finding somewhere to put it, where it's shielded from the wind).

Not sure if it's possible (or even a good idea) to block one of the gaps with tinfoil, or maybe just set it on medium and use two roasting-trays or some tinfoil to shield the food.

BR. Kenneth.

I previously had a Q200, and sometimes when it was windy outside and the grill was on the low settings, the flames would go out.
Not sure if it's because of the gaps in the sides, or maybe wind getting in through the bottom, or maybe sucking air out through the bottom.

In recent years I have used a regular kettle and a performer, but recently acquired a used Q120 for those days where I'm just cooking burgers or hotdogs.

It seems the problem is not so bad on the Q120, but it still does it sometimes. And since that little grill gets screaming hot unless you have it on low, that's where it's usually set.

Does anyone have any tips to using the Q grill in windy weather (apart from the obvious solution: finding somewhere to put it, where it's shielded from the wind).

Not sure if it's possible (or even a good idea) to block one of the gaps with tinfoil, or maybe just set it on medium and use two roasting-trays or some tinfoil to shield the food.

BR. Kenneth.

You could also make a wind blocker from a non flammable material.

First is to set the rear towards the wind. Second is to make sure the burner holes are actually clean. Not look clean but actually cleaned by a drill bit or other device. If you just have to have a side towards the wind, just put a piece of cardboard or similar between the handle and body. No it will not burn and the heat will rise and become stable.

Yes cleaned the grill pretty thorougly when I got it, including cleaning all the holes with a small screw.
I think the cardboard idea might be worth a shot. If it works, I might even make a sheet of stainless steel that can hang between the handle and the body :)

I have never had the flames on my Q go out in the wind. However, the wind does take a toll on the internal temps of the grill at times.

Back