Hm first powerup screen displaying gibrish

Steve IL

Connected my HM 4.3 to my Raspberry pi 3b that just came and the screen is just displaying //?/?/ And other random characters. I tried reflashing the sd card again to see if the firmware didn't take correctly but I'm getting the same thing

M1hF1MA.jpg

Last edited:
I would reflow solder on the LCD header, the shift register IC and the headers for the button board.

Thanks Ralph I will try that tonight. I don't have to load anything on the Raspberry pi right? Out the box i can put the HM loaded sd card in it and connect it to the HM?

Yeah the SD card image has everything on it to make it work, and it looks like it has booted and flashed the AVR firmware automatically as it should have. Just need to go over the LCD header and shift register connections (RS, E, D4, D5, D6, D7) because you've got either a loose connection on one of them or a short between pins. The green LED is indicating correctly which is also driven by the shift register, and if you press the left button it will probably go out and the yellow one will come on, indicating a good connection to the shift register. Just need to check between it and the LCD. They all look like they could use a little more solder and the LCD ones look like they could use a bit more heating time because they're not really flowed there.

Yeah the SD card image has everything on it to make it work, and it looks like it has booted and flashed the AVR firmware automatically as it should have. Just need to go over the LCD header and shift register connections (RS, E, D4, D5, D6, D7) because you've got either a loose connection on one of them or a short between pins. The green LED is indicating correctly which is also driven by the shift register, and if you press the left button it will probably go out and the yellow one will come on, indicating a good connection to the shift register. Just need to check between it and the LCD. They all look like they could use a little more solder and the LCD ones look like they could use a bit more heating time because they're not really flowed there.

Bryan that is exactly what its doing with the yellow led. Its like you made this thing :) I will tighten up my connections I know i struggled with those lcd ones being so tight and this is my first time soldering boards. Thanks i'll post back after I work on it tonight

Success!LCD is reading fine probes are reading just need to work on the wifi. going to mess with my network in the am and make sure i put in the correct info on the sd card. Thanks guys

Back