Cleaning up a q

J Kingscott

Hi

I've had a baby q for years but recently acquired a 200 for free. I was delighted as it's a total bargain, but my gf was horrified... I'm sure I can clean it up as well as folk on here have. Bit of rust but nothing major, the grill is in good nick. Ridiculous question but how?

Combination of
- scrapping rubbish of it
- oven cleaner to degrease
- scouring
- wire brush / wool
- possible repaint

Right things in the right order? If I take a scourer to it at the moment it'll clog it up instantly.

Or, take the lid, and the base and get them sand blasted (or there's a guy locally who used bicarbonate of soda), no idea what the cost would be or if it'll strip away anything useful though...

Cheers

John

I think the hardest thing is cleaning the grate. Look at my foray into cleaning up the carbon encrusted grate on my 320.

Sandblasting works great. Scrape off all the crud you can first. I like to scrape what I can (dry), then blast. If it's pretty dry already, it should blast off easily.
I use a finer blast sand. Soda is great for delicate finishes, sand works fine on this cast stuff unless you're going for a mirror shine on the outside. It doesn't take much to come clean.

Soap and plastic scrubber on the inside body. You can use oven cleaner and wire brushes on the grill grate. Drill bits to clean up the holes in the burner.

Back