Is This The Real Thing?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
"NEW" WEBER GRILL ROTISSERIE *** - $25 (MOORESVILLE)

Does this look like a genuine Weber rotisserie?

00Z0Z_jMFRrsMjcsK_600x450.jpg

Yes, but it's missing some parts, the mounting bracket and I believe it should have a counterweight as well. Not sure what the exact model is. Do see what appears to be multiple grooves on the handle end which means it would fit various models.

I compared it to the unit listed here, and it doesn't look the same. I'm not an expert on these, but the Craigslist unit looked like an aftermarket product.

61HIm9bCRkL._SL1500_.jpg

It looks like old new stock, If you yahoo or google search Weber Rotisserie and click images it sure looks for real.

Tim
9112ddef39c260b0b85e69a9c225f856.jpg

Rusty, the one in your first post looks exactly like mine, for $25 grab it for the 22” Kettle. The second one is exactly as advertised, for the gassers.

So the Craigslist listing is a kettle-only unit. I could have swore I saw some wording for a Weber gas grill, but I guess I was mistaken.

I don't have the ring, or the 22" kettle, so I guess I'll pass.

Tim, the one you posted is the 2290 and the spit rod only has grooves to match up to the ring. The one Rusty posted has multiple grooves. It looks like the 9890:

3102DY9NV0L.jpg

You can see the two grooves between the handle and the fork.

Rusty, ask the person to measure the distance from the groove near the tip to each of the grooves next to the handle. Then go out and measure the distance between the sides of your grill box. If his numbers match your's, you are all good. If not, the continue the quest.

The one Rusty posted has multiple grooves. It looks like the 9890:

3102DY9NV0L.jpg

You can see the two grooves between the handle and the fork.

Rusty, ask the person to measure the distance from the groove near the tip to each of the grooves next to the handle. Then go out and measure the distance between the sides of your grill box. If his numbers match your's, you are all good. If not, the continue the quest.

Dave, I found a new in-the-box 9890 from an online seller (private person), and I consulted with Weber before making the purchase, and they said this model fits my grill. After installing the bracket and motor, whenever I push the spit rod in all the way, the machined grooves do not line up with the notches on my firebox.

I made another call to Weber, and a different rep told me the 9890 does not fit my grill. :confused:

I can, however, pull the rod out far enough to make things work, but I don't know if the spit rod corners will snag on the fire box lid or not (over time).

Comments, suggestions?

Last edited:
In this photo, you can see how far off the machined areas are when the spit rod is fully inserted into the motor housing.

6-28-18%20005.jpg

In this photo below, the spit rod is properly nestled into the U-slots of the firebox, but the not all of the rod fits into the motor housing.

6-28-18%20006.jpg

The machined areas of the spit rod are properly spaced to nestle into the firebox slots, it's just the rod itself is 1.125" too short. I thought about cutting a dummy extension out of 9/32 square bar stock just long enough to make up for the 1.125" shortfall, and slide it into the motor housing as a spacer of sorts.

Anyone ever dealt with this before? Maybe nothing to be concerned with?

Last edited:
Why not bend the motor bracket to shorten that distance?

I thought about fabricating a shorter motor mount, but considering how hot the grill gets, I'm worried the heat could damage the motor.

Aren't all of these rotisserie mounts designed with identical dimensions in mind to protect the motor?

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing any problem in that picture. Looks like when you slide the motor down onto the bra key, there's plenty of length for the rod tip to reach.

Pretty sure that the 2nd csr is wrong. The 9890 is for Genny B's and C's. What might have confused them is that the 9890 was replaced by a newer model, but the part number escapes me right now.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing any problem in that picture. Looks like when you slide the motor down onto the bra key, there's plenty of length for the rod tip to reach.

So the rod tip is not required to mount flush inside the hole? I was thinking along those lines myself after thinking things over. My biggest concern was the rod shifting during use and jamming up in the firebox slots, or start rubbing against the hood.

Pretty sure that the 2nd csr is wrong. The 9890 is for Genny B's and C's. What might have confused them is that the 9890 was replaced by a newer model, but the part number escapes me right now.

The rep gave me the current part number, but it is not with me at the moment.

The first rep was an older woman that uses this rotisserie on her grill. The second lady rep was much younger, so I assume she is not familiar with older parts fitment?

I thought about fabricating a shorter motor mount, but considering how hot the grill gets, I'm worried the heat could damage the motor.

Aren't all of these rotisserie mounts designed with identical dimensions in mind to protect the motor?

I really have my doubts that 1/4” kink in the bottom of the bracket will damage the motor?

So the rod tip is not required to mount flush inside the hole? I was thinking along those lines myself after thinking things over. My biggest concern was the rod shifting during use and jamming up in the firebox slots, or start rubbing against the hood.

The rep gave me the current part number, but it is not with me at the moment.

The first rep was an older woman that uses this rotisserie on her grill. The second lady rep was much younger, so I assume she is not familiar with older parts fitment?

This isn't a high speed or high torque situation. Do this. Wrap a single layer of masking tape on the flat part of the rod tip (don't worry about the slanted point). Mount the motor in the bracket and slide the rod in making sure that the grooves are aligned. Turn the motor on. Use a pencil or sharpie to mark right where the rod goes into the motor.

When you pull the rod out, this will show you exactly how much surface contact you have.

Just now catching up with the latest posts, but I rotisseried a chicken today, and the unit gave me no trouble at all. :) The only problem I did have was when the counter weight fell off (didn't tighten the screw enough I suppose).

I cooked the bird to around 170° or so, and it tasted fairly good, but I thought the meat was just a touch rubbery in my opinion (wife had no such complaints). I marinated the chicken overnight with McCormick's Fire Island marinate. I used three small chunks of cherry for smoke (wrapped in slitted foil), but the bird had little or no smoke flavor to it. I used the front & back burners for heat, and I placed a drip pan over the middle burner.

Next time, I thought about removing the drip pan late in the cook and firing up the center burner so some fat can drip on the flavorizer bar. Is that how you guys do it?

Just now catching up with the latest posts, but I rotisseried a chicken today, and the unit gave me no trouble at all. :) The only problem I did have was when the counter weight fell off (didn't tighten the screw enough I suppose).

I cooked the bird to around 170° or so, and it tasted fairly good, but I thought the meat was just a touch rubbery in my opinion (wife had no such complaints). I marinated the chicken overnight with McCormick's Fire Island marinate. I used three small chunks of cherry for smoke (wrapped in slitted foil), but the bird had little or no smoke flavor to it. I used the front & back burners for heat, and I placed a drip pan over the middle burner.

Next time, I thought about removing the drip pan late in the cook and firing up the center burner so some fat can drip on the flavorizer bar. Is that how you guys do it?

On a gasser or charcoal, I always finish birds over direct heat. Only real way to get the skin to crisp up nicely. Well, than and slathering it with oil to begin with.

Back