It's a sad day today.

That's a sad thing not many butcher shops left anymore.
The nearest butcher shop to us is a 200 mile RT to Phoenix.

That is bad news - hope it works out for an improvement somehow.

"Rod McLeod owns Balzac Meats and said it’s a blessing nobody was hurt in the blaze but the company lost all of its product.

“We were completely loaded. Unfortunately, it is in season so we were full to capacity. This is our busiest time of the year.”

McLeod said that they likely will not be rebuilding the facility but it’s still too early to say for sure.

“This land is owned by a developer. We don’t own the property, we just leased. We knew we didn’t have an endless amount of time here due to the fact we don’t own the property. To rebuild this facility would be a massive undertaking.”

None of the livestock in the area was harmed.

Balzac Meats has been around for 40 years and plays a big role in fundraising for at least 50 community groups and schools.

There’s no word on the cause of the blaze, however, officials said it is not suspicious."

If they can manage to rebuild, I doubt it would be in the same location. There's other small towns around that might offer an opportunity. I certainly wouldn't mind travelling some for their product. It was less than 10 minutes away as it was.

We would often get a 1/4 beef from them each Spring. One year, the brisket that was part of the order was over aged and funky. By then it was Summer and I didn't cook it. That cut was vacuum packed, no label to identify where it came from and I had no receipt handy for it. So I didn't contact them about it. Later that summer I was in the shop and mentioned what had happened. I wasn't looking for any kind of refund; as I couldn't show that it was their product. The lady I deal with said "we'll get you another one" right on the spot. Didn't ask to see the beef (which was impossible to do at this point). So you can bet I was impressed.

I read about that, sad day indeed. I live on the south side of Calgary so didn't make many trips up that way, but on the way to family I'd stop in when possible.

Back